Thursday, December 12, 2013

Christmas Traditions: Ornaments

IMG_2160Last year I shared about our Kiss-mouse traditions. This year I share with you the ornament tradition.

Every year we get the kids a special ornament that brings to mind something about the current stage of life they are in. After we decorate the tree they are given the new ornaments to add to the branches. This is a tradition I picked up from my parents. I

Part of the thought is that, in adulthood, the first year they have a tree of their own they’ll have a collection of ornaments attached to fond memories to hang on it.

As I mentioned, my parents did this for me and Kevin brought quite a few ornaments of his own into the mix when we got married so yeah we’ve got just a few little branch danglers. In fact in order to thin things out this year we expanded to a second tree for just penguin & snowflake ornaments (Penguins are a Kevin thing)

Picking out the kids’ ornaments can be tough. Sometimes there are just so many that would be cute for them that narrowing it down to one can be tough. This is what we ended up with this year.

IMG_2180IMG_2179

Jack got a ‘Mint Chocolate Chipmunk’ in homage to his favorite flavor of ice-cream.

Emilie received the Little Tykes Cozy Coupe since she spent so many hours having her brother push her around in it this summer.

No comments: