Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine’s Day

Not everyone chooses to celebrate Valentine’s Day. I’ve heard everything from “It’s a made up holiday.” to “It’s just a way for Hallmark” to make more money. All I can say is pffffffffft….around here we LOVE this holiday! Kevin doesn’t buy me flowers, (says he’d rather surprise me on some random day with them) and we don’t exchange pricey gifts or dine out at fancy restaurants, but we do have lots of fun.

IMG_8846Yesterday, the kids and I went to a Valentine’s party with our Mom’s Group friends. Nothing like a houseful of 20-ish kids ranging from 1 to 4.5 years to add some excitement to your life. We had a potluck lunch and the kids decorated Valentine boxes. Then they exchanged Valentines. While the older kids could have gone longer, there were lots of little brothers and sisters that needed naps so the party only lasted about 90minutes. Just about right!

When we got home Emilie went down for a nap and Jack helped me decorate Valentine’s cookies. From the calorie standpoint we really don’t need them, but what is Valentine’s without frosted sugar cookies? We didn’t stick to just frosting either…Jack is becoming quite adept with sprinkles, and I’d gotten some candy hearts to decorate with as well. Don’t worry, we saved some for Emilie to frost when she woke from her nap, though she spends most of the activity trying to inhale as much frosting as possible.

IMG_8841

Like I mentioned before, it’s not like we four need two dozen frosted cookies to eat so I had Kevin take most of them to the office today. People can’t say ‘no’ to cookies made with love by little kids…..moooohahahahaha!

As for today, Valentine’s Day proper, we dropped the kids off for their party at preschool and then Kevin took me out to breakfast. After enjoying a veggie omelet (Kevin had chicken fried steak) at the Buffalo Chip there was still an hour to spare before we needed to pick up the kids. We enjoyed a nice walk, did some window shopping, and just enjoyed each other’s company.

IMG_8850The kids came home from school with even more cards and candy. I let them go through their baskets and eat a little candy. However, they are now cut off until after dinner. We’re making a Chinese feast….well Kevin is making a Chinese feast. I have a virtual 5k to complete. So while he cooks I’ll be trotting out my Love on the Run 5k so that I can get my time into the forum. Kind of fun to be able to pick your own route…

So whether you celebrate or not we hope your day is fabulous anyways. Have a Happy Valentine’s Day from us!

No comments: