Thursday, May 10, 2012

Food Wars

Oh the joy of being three. It means that even though you like and eat a wide variety of food you can decide on a whim what you will or won’t eat. Take tonight for instance.

Tonight I tried a new recipe sent to me by a friend when I was looking for new ways to use asparagus. It’s called Asparagus Swiss Quiches, and yes it is as yummy as it sounds. Main ingredients are asparagus (obviously), Swiss cheese, and bacon. These are all items I've seen Jack eat with gusto. However, when combined and set on his plate in a little triangle of quiche-y goodness my three-year old stuck his little nose in the air.

To diverge for a moment. In our house we have some simple rules when it comes to eating. I am not a short order cook. I do make an effort to have one or two items I know the kids will eat at each meal but that is not always possible. You do not have to eat something if you don’t like it, but you do have to try it. When I say ‘try it’ I mean you have to swallow one bite with out making rude faces or saying things like “Eeeww” and “yucky.” If you can’t bring yourself to swallow you may politely spit the bite into your napkin.

Mostly Jack will try things like he is asked and, low and behold, he usually ends up eating the whole thing. If he eats a bite and doesn’t like it he is allowed to have a bowl of cereal.

Last night however, the stubborn little boy in him came out. I’m not sure if it was because he honestly didn’t like the looks of Asparagus Swiss Quiche or if it was because we made him come inside from playing ‘construction site’ outside. Either way he flat out refused to try the quiche and kept trying to take his plate to the kitchen and dump the food in the trash. All he had to do was try one bite and if he didn’t like it he could have some cereal, but noooooooo. He was going to argue the point into the ground.

On nights like this he has to options. Try the food or go to bed. Since he wouldn’t try it I took him to his room and we sat on his bed and discussed needing to take a bite. Finally after some coaxing, cheering, and a few false starts I had him all ramped up to take a bite. I kid you not I sound like a member of the pep squad, “eat it, eat it, eat it!”

Unfortunately, Jack had some other thoughts on what ‘take a bite’ should mean. He took a piece of quiche put it in his mouth and then pulled it back out and set it on his plate. I said, “No, a bite means you have to eat it. It needs to go in your tummy.” My sly child regarded me carefully, then he took another piece of quiche and pushed it into his belly button.

Seriously!?!

Now I’m trying to keep a serious and stern face but the giggles keep slipping through, which only encourage him more. I actually had tears in my eyes from fighting the urge to laugh out loud.  As for Jack, he has this big old grin on his face and is trying to shove more quiche in his belly button. What a ham!

Finally, after about 45 minutes of encouraging Jack finally ate a piece of bacon, said he didn’t want anymore quiche, and was giving the requisite bowl of cereal. I’m honestly not sure who won that round. Kevin says I did since Jack did do what he was asked to do, but I’m not so sure.

Until next time…

No comments: