Saturday, March 6, 2010

Lid Soup

There is a lot of lid soup being made in our house these days.

Jack has a fondness for kitchen utensils, especially wooden spoons. He knows how to 'stir' and will stir anything he can get his spoon into. This includes drinking glasses, mixing bowls, other toys, and the toilet (I was on the phone to my sister and not 100% focused, he snuck into the master bath lifted the lid and...well you can picture it.)

He loves to stir. I can sit him on the counter while I'm cooking and he will stir whatever I give him. We had a friend visit and he kept flipping Jack's bowl upside down so he could use it as a drum. Jack gave him a dirty look like, "Hey! You have no idea what you are doing, bowls go the other way." and flipped his bowl back over to continue stirring.

Since he started eating solids I've kept the lids from his baby food jars as well as any other sort of metal jar lid. We've got salsa lids, spaghetti sauce lids, pimento lids, jam jar lids...you name it we've got it. I read an article in a parenting magazine at some point about inexpensive ideas for toys and one woman submitted how she kept jar lids for her kids. They loved to stack them count them spin them and more. I thought "heh?, Can't hurt, and if he doesn't like them I'll recycle them later.

They are stored on the living room floor, under the dining room table, and in any other spot where you might step on them in the dark for the most part. We toss them, shake them (makes a great noise), slide them on the floor, they are a HUGE hit. The big red coffee container I corral them in on occasion is more fun for transporting lids to new locations than actually storing them in there.

And lid soup? Well, a favorite pastime is to take all of my stainless steel bowls and bring them to the living room and sit them on the end table. Then we dump in some lids, maybe a Fisher Price little person or two (for flavor), perhaps a small ball or cup, sometimes we try and shake milk out of our sippy cup and into the mix. Then we stir, stir, stir. Making lid soup is a lot of fun!

*Gasp*!! How did that Penguin get in there?

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Fun post to read! Great caption under the picture too.