We are currently in the midst of 'enjoying' one of those childhood rights of passage...the dreaded pink eye. Saturday evening I noticed some yellow 'boogers' in the corner of Jack's eyes and my heart sank. I pointed them out to Kevin and we theorized that we had been outside playing and since it is spring everybody is plowing fields, burning ditches, and generally putting a lot of material into the air that maybe, just maybe, he was responding to an irritant. Still, my Mommy Gut knew otherwise.
Sunday morning confirmed it. There was more goop and the whites of Jack's eyes were that tell-tale pink. Since it was Sunday what can you do? Pink eye doesn't warrant a trip to urgent care or anything. We cleaned out the goop, stayed home from church (missing the Palm Sunday/Confirmands/New Members potluck...which I'm still a little bummed about) and put on our lounging sweats and called it a sick day. Kevin picked up the sinus bug that has been going around at work so the day really was a bust.
I took Jack in to see the Pediatrician on Monday and he confirmed it. Yep, twenty bucks so the doc could tell me what I already knew. Still he checked Jack's ears and throat to make sure nothing else was going on (Factoid of the day from the pediatrician: There is a known correlation between pink eye and ear infections, about 75% of the time if your kid has pink eye they will also have an ear infection.) He also introduced us to the new gal who is doing her peid's rotation. She did her undergrad at WSU, this we learned because Jack was wearing his Cougar track suit and she commented on it. I just love meeting fellow Cougars in random situations.....
Finally we got a prescription for eye drops and went on our merry way. The eye drops are a pain. Three times a day, one drop in each eye. Jack HATES them. So far the best way to do it is to sit on the floor put his head between my legs and put my legs over his arms. Then I have both hands free to pry open his eyelids and put the drops in. He screams bloody-murder the whole time. We have to repeat this process for the next week. Joy....
Well, Grandma (Duchow) is in town for a visit so I was able to come into to work today. She is watching Jack and taking care of Kevin (Nothing like having Mom around when you are sick...no matter how old you are) who is still down for the count. I'm just hoping it doesn't become a full fledged sinus infection that requires antibiotics.
Well, I've rambled enough for one day. I promise new pictures soon....and early Happy Easter wishes to you all!
2 comments:
So is the title of this blog a pun on "conjunction junction" from School of Rock??? See I have watched that movie too many times! Don't forget to disinfect all those door knobs, etc. Clorox wipes are your best friend!
Ummmm it's "Schoolhouse Rock" to which you refer deary, "School of Rock" is a movie starring Jack Black. We'll let this go and blame it on Preggo-Brain, okay?
We are already handwashing fools, but today when I go home I need to clean all of Jack's bedding and the stuffties he sleeps with.
Post a Comment