Monday, September 7, 2009

A Great Moment in Parenting!

We went into Boise today just to get out of the house. Plus Kevin 'needed' to go to Cablea's to pick up a few last minute things for hunting season. I have been informed that it starts in 3 weeks and he needs to be prepared. It's not like Sportsman's Warehouse here in town wouldn't have sufficed it just that he hasn't had a Cablea's fix in several months, so we just haaaad to go.

It was a nice day all around. Jack demonstrated his abilities in volume control during lunch. Yep, we're the ones with the kid shouting DADADADADA at the top of his lungs. (Note to self: Teach Jack what 'indoor voices' means). Thankfully its still pretty cute and most folks seem not to mind...yet. We checked out a Hallmark store, walked around the mall, and of course we cannot forget Cabela's.

When we were ready to head home Kevin put Jack in his carseat while I was dinking around and proceeded to load the stroller in the trunk. Once everything was loaded we got in the car and hit the road. As we pulled onto the freeway Jack was chatting away happily to himself in the backseat, which is a little odd since after 6 hours of getting in and out of the car he's usually had enough and is fussing. But as the old adage says, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." I decided I was blessed to have such a happy kid today and left it as that...till he started laughing. Curiosity got the better of me and I turned around to see just what was do funny only to find myself face-to-face with my son!

The first thing that ran through my mind as I shrieked "KEVIN" in that tone that one can only make when there is a serious emergency; was that he had unbuckled himself. He is a pretty smart kid, he could have figured it out right? Well, either that or, in a moment of pure brilliance, his parents forgot to buckle him in....

Kevin had put him in his seat but hadn't buckled the straps figuring I would do it. I assumed he'd buckled Jack since he put him in the seat. So here we are cruising down I-84 at 75mph with our 9 month old standing backwards in his carseat and laughing at his Dad's bugged out eyes in the review mirror. He was so happy with himself and his new trick.

We got off at the next exit and strapped Jack in properly....he was less than thrilled and informed us of as much the rest of the way home. After his taste at riding facing forward we may been in for rough rides in the carseat until he can face forward legally.

2 comments:

Dayna said...

He'll get over it (wanting to ride face forward). As you say, it was a thrill! PS--Kevin, maybe you need a rearview mirror?

As for indoor voice--I'm still working on that one with my almost 4 yr old (who looks more like 6). Needless to say, she isn't "cute" anymore, but she usually is very good at restaurants (it is really only a problem for me in our house).

Lara Blair said...

YIIIIKKKKKESSSSSS!!!!