Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Just Call Him Jack "The Tooth" Duchow

It's official Jack is cutting his first molar!

He's not quite 10 months and he's got 7 teeth up front. 4 on top and 3 on the bottom. We're missing an incisor on the bottom left...I'm sure it will show up in due time but until then he's got a very cute lopsided grin.

According to the literature most babies can expect to have 6 teeth by their first birthday. He is going to have 8 at least most likely more. When it comes to teeth Jack really doesn't follow the book.

"Expect baby's first teeth to appear around 6 month of age"

Jack's popped in at 4.5 months

"Lower central incisors will most likely appear first followed by Upper central incisors"

He got the lower ones first, then skipped the corresponding top two and instead got the upper lateral incisors. He's looked like a baby vampire for many many weeks. Now that his upper centrals are long enough he's just starting to have a 'normal' smile.

"Babies' teeth often arrive in pairs"

Yeah about that....he's only got 3 teeth on the bottom.

Only goes to prove that those Baby books are full of good guidelines and tips, but shouldn't be sworn by.

Needless to say, I Mom, am really not enjoying this molar cutting business and neither is Jack. With his front teeth some occasional teething drops and something to chew on did the trick. There was a little fussing but nothing too terrible.

This Molar (which is currently just a big red lump on his gum) is so much worse. Tooth drops every two hours or so keep it in check during the day, but he still has random cry fests especially if he bites something at the wrong angle. He's cruising around all Hunky-Dorey with a big ole grin one minute then sitting there howling the next. Plus he's tugging on his ear off and on so I'm thinking he's getting pressure there. I've actually broke down and given him Baby Tylenol which is a last resort around here.

If anybody has advice on other methods to soothe him I'm all ears. Until then we will muddle through with lots of tooth drops, cuddles, and kisses.



-------------------------------------------------------------------



Oh yeah, Some good news on the work front.


My detail on the Sawtooth is extended until January 30th, 2010. I was hoping to get hired on permanent here by the end of October, but this is the government and the wheels turn slowly and this forest does not or can't (I'm not clear on the verb there) make a final decision until after the FLT retreat in October. If I understand correctly, the FLT (Forest Leadership Team) locks themselves away for a few days every October and makes budget and other important decisions for the fiscal year. I can live with a detail extension until January and will keep praying for a permanent transfer. Perhaps, I will just become the Forest Service's longest ever detailer....


3 comments:

Dayna said...

Just wait, your second baby will be completely different! (Dnl had a whole mouthful by 1 (including 1st molars), but T only had 6--and for the longest time, only 1 (that pair thing is funny, isn't it?)).

Okay, ideas: when you can't sleep--you resort to the Tylenol. You just have to. 1 dose is usually enough.
Have you tried Hylands teething tabs? Those worked really well for Dnl, not so well with T. And, that is what I've heard from other mothers too--you get the moms that swear by them, and the ones that say they aren't worth anything. I think it depends on the kid given my experience with my 2. But, I also think it is worth the $4 or whatever for a small bottle of those.
What drops are you using? Around here, they highly discourage the use of orajel type drops. I can private message you more info if you want.
You can let him chew on a frozen piece of something (apple/celery/carrot/etc) in those mesh food bag things to help numb it up. Or, you can also just let him snack on frozen peas and carrots (neither of which are chokable). :)
Those are my tips. Good luck!

Cassie D said...

Danya, I've been using a Homeopathic teehthing drop by Gentle Naturals. So far those seem to work and he is agreeable to taking them. Tylenol before bedtime helps at night.

I've heard negative comments about Orajel as well. Along the lines of them making kid's mouths too numb to the point they can't swallow well.

Frozen peas I might try. He likes cold washrags so you never know he might go for cold peas.

I also had a suggestion of getting a Puppy Nylabone. They are soft and chewy with rounded edges, big enough not to choke on, but shaped so that they can actually get it back to chew those molars. I'm still toying with that idea....

Dayna said...

New comment regarding teething/pairs, in case anyone stumbles on this post in a search (hey, you never know!)--

T is now almost 16 months old. She has 6 total incisors and 3 molars. So, she is missing the second set of lower incisors at this point, and 1 lower molar (and it has been this way for a couple of weeks, with no sign of any of the 3 "missing" teeth).

In summary, they grow in all kinds of atypical ways which are still normal.