This week was the big week. Back packs packed, new shoes on, hair trimmed…all for the start of the new school year!
Note: Emilie is in the midst of ‘School Spirit’ week at preschool and it was ‘Crazy hat and Sock’ day…to explain her attire. Though I can see her picking this out on her own. Today is ‘Pajama Day’ …I always have a hard time with this one. It’s is just goes against everything in me to take my kids to anywhere in PJ’s…
Emilie was up first. She started in the 3 year old class (Giraffes) at Step Ahead Learning Center. She’s been pestering me to go back and see her friends for several weeks now so, as figured, we had no major issues. Tuesday morning she sauntered right into class. Her friend Emma came right up to her and after a quick huge and kiss goodbye they were off to play with some blocks.
Jack’s kindergarten class had orientation days on Tuesday and Wednesday. We were signed up for the Wednesday class so Tuesday morning we went grocery shopping and took a walk on the Canyon Rim where they are doing construction on a new shopping complex (read – lots of heavy equipment). All the while we talked about how awesome Kindergarten was going to be.
When we picked up Emilie I asked her how her day went and she said, “My teacher is BEAUTIFUL!” This just made me laugh for joy. Now granted, her teacher, Miss Nicole, is a wonderful, loving woman and by now means ugly, but I bet when you hear “Miss Nicole” you are thinking of a young preschool teacher, perhaps someone fresh from college ready to charm eager young minds. In actuality Miss Nicole is probably in her mid-50’s, shoulder-length salt and pepper hair usually in a ponytail, about my build. Glasses, no make-up, and a t-shirt and jeans type of lady. I guess what I want to say if she’s not what society traditionally labels as ‘beautiful’ but my innocent little daughter who knows nothing of that sort of thing thinks she is – and I have to say she’s right. Miss Nicole is a woman who genuinely loves her work. She adores each and every one of those kids and I’m glad Emilie is in her class this year. When Jack was in the Giraffes he had the misfortune of being there at a time where they just couldn’t seem to hold a teacher in that room. One moved because her husband got a new job, another got married, the third was pregnant and had her baby prematurely, and so forth. Poor Jack was scrambling to keep up with the rotation and it showed, so I’m really glad Emilie has Miss Nicole!
Thursday was Jack’s big day. He is enrolled at Filer Elementary School which just so happens to be right next to our church so the building and playground he’s been familiar with for years. He is in Ms. Bridges class. We met her at an open house a few weeks ago and again at orientation (which Jack thought was boring – it really was mostly paperwork and parent Q&A – so I don’t blame him). This is her first year in the kindergarten class at Filer, but she does have several years experience and is by no means a rookie.
Of course, as every new parent of a kindergartener, I fretted. Would he know to listen for the bell? Would he remember to ask if he has to use the restroom? Would he make new friends? Would he listen to his teacher? Sometimes I wonder why I worry. I know deep down that he can do this. Most of it he’s been doing in preschool already. As usual he was spot on. Before school starts the kids can play on the playground. When the bell rings they are to line up at the door to their room. Well when the bell rang Jack ran over to me and said, “What’s the bell ringing for?” I said, “It means it’s time to go to class.” and we walked over to his door after I pried Emilie reluctantly off the slide. Ms. Bridges was waiting there and he lined up with the other kids and immediately started chewing on her ear about tractors and semi-trucks that crashed and need a tow truck (He’s ‘in’ to crashing things right now). He marched right into class and found his chair at the table. I did manage a quick hug goodbye at the door, but he seemed to be in such a good groove that I didn’t go in (only a few parents actually did)
When I picked him up he seemed happy and fairly chill about the day. I asked what his favorite part was and he said, “Playing on the Monkey bars and seeing the yellow spray rig drive by!” (I truly hope there is another small farm enthusiast in his class). After some more prodding I did manage to get out of him that he made Play-doh pancakes, learned a new song (he wouldn’t sing for me, going with “maybe later” instead), and heard a story about a Raccoon that bounced away from home. He also met some boys named Ryan and Jacob. In all his review of Kindergarten was, “It’s good.” A man of few words – unless we’re talking trucks and tractors.
Here’s to a ‘good’ year of school.
No comments:
Post a Comment