Monday, April 14, 2014

Gardening Pays Off

As many of you may remember last October I lost my wedding ring. I was pretty sure it had come off during a trip to the pumpkin patch with the kids. After lots of searching and even going so far as to bring in a metal detector, we’d pretty much decided it was a lost cause and we’d probably never see it again.

Oh how wrong we were.

Saturday I was mowing the lawn and Kevin was turning over the garden with the rototiller. Shortly he comes jogging over with a big grin plastered on his face and is hold the wedding band portion of my ring between two grubby fingers. He’s announces, “You can marry me again now!” and slid it back on the finger from whence it had strayed.

Now, my ring is a two piece deal. There is the main diamond solitaire which was my engagement ring and then the wedding band piece with our birthstones that wraps around it. I’d never gotten around to having them soldered together after we got married. Then with losing a good third of my body weight both rings were loose… a recipe for disaster as we found out.

Seeing as the rings had been together when I lost them (picking tomatoes in the garden it would seem) our hope was that the solitaire couldn’t be far. Kevin got out his sifter that fits on the wheelbarrow and we went to work sifting the dirt he’d plowed. It took about 20 minutes but we did, literally, hit pay dirt.

Both pieces were dirty, but no worse for wear. I cleaned them of and could start wearing it again this minute if I wanted. However, logic has prevailed and we’re going to keep them safe in the jewelry box until we can get them resized and soldered together.

IMG_3683

No comments: