Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Chickens to the Rescue!

If you see Emilie run past you shouting, “Chickens to the Rescue!!” any time in the near future it’s because that is her new favorite book.

Every day of the week Farmer Greenstalk and his family have some sort of mishap on the farm and its….chickens to the rescue. It’s becoming something of a battle cry around these parts.

I finally broke down and paid the requisite annual fee (since we don’t live in the city limits) for a library card. I have my issues with having to pay for a library card but I’m working past it Thinking smile. The library has so much to offer that I can’t let my own stumbling block prevent the kids from enjoying all libraries have to offer. Besides I keep saying I need to read more and since there is a woeful lack of used book stores (there is only one and it just sells paperbacks) the library really is the way to go. Plus they have DVD’s to check out and a good selection of downloadable music so I guess $40/year isn’t too much to pay considering the benefits.

These kids will learn the Dewey Decimal system like it or not!!!!

So far I haven’t been able to venture into the adult section of the library very much (it’s upstairs and the children’s section is in the basement), the kids need too much supervision just yet, but I’ll get there eventually. Jack has the library stage-whisper mastered and can be trusted to peruse books or play with puzzles at his leisure. Emilie is a bit more unpredictable. She’s either attempting to unload every book off the shelves or  finds a book she likes and wanders up and down the stacks (they are only 3 shelves high but still over her head) shouting, “JACK, JACK, Where are you Jack? See my book!” Adorable to a fault as usual, that one.

If you asked both kids what their favorite part of the library is they’d tell you it was the playground without hesitation. The city park is right across the street from the library and no visit is complete without a stop to play on the playground. They love playing and I love that the privilege of visiting the playground is great motivation for good behavior at the library.

With our new library cards in hand we’ve been going to the library about once a week to return and restock on books. This is usually followed by and hour or two of reading stories together when we get home. It’s a great way to break up the winter monotony and is a good place to go when we need a change of venue from the house.

Until next time….. “Chickens to the Rescue!”

No comments: