Author’s note: Several have asked me about the gingerbread and frosting recipes I use. So here is a link to the McCormick site with both the gingerbread and royal icing. I gingerbread can be a little on the dry side and tough to work with so I add about 1/4 cup more molasses per batch. It took 2 batches to makes these houses and for decorating, snow on the board, and assembly, almost 4 batches of frosting. My other tips(s) are 1) gingerbread cutouts tend to warp a little during baking. Immediately after pulling them from the oven, when they are still warm, lay your template over the pieces and trim up the sides. 2) If you can assemble the houses the night before you decorate, especially if you are working with small children. It’s soooooo much nicer to have a good solid house and not one with the roof sliding off.
Yesterday was the big day. Gingerbread houses! Earlier in the week my assistants and I, and the gingerbread work crew (see photo), had made dough, cut out templates, baked, cooled, and assembled enough gingerbread for two buildings. We made two buildings. The thought was one for my challenge for the year and the other for the kids to share. Of course Emilie immediately wanted mine when she saw it. She is still saying it’s hers. I’m sure everyone will believe my 2.5 and half year old made it when she tells them…right? ![]()
In the end it turned out that patience and focus-wise one house was plenty for the two of them to share. What a blast they had! There was candy flying everywhere. Jack wanted it all laid out in bowls in front of him so he could pick and choose. Emilie was throwing sugar into her mouth double fisted and as fast as she could go. All I got to do was squirt out frosting where directed and make the occasional suggestion, “What about Skittles for lights on the eaves?”, “Do you want to use some Candy Canes somewhere?”
Jack seemed to have some vision this year. He knew he wanted a door and doorbell and that the lake needed rocks, blue jellybeans, and a boat. He also insisted on having Snowmen in the yard and presents under the tree.
Emilie was not quite so set. If it looked tasty she’d put it on the house, after trying some for herself of course. Plus, I’m pretty sure she licked almost every piece of candy before applying it. Word to the wise, be careful when snitching off that gingerbread house. It come complete with Emmy Cooties. She did get rather gung-ho with the gummy worms though. They are crawling all over the yard and building.
As for me I had been hemming and hawing about what I wanted to build this year. We’ve done the barn, a train, and some very scenic cabins in the past. I really wanted to try something different. Eventually, I found a pattern online for a little chapel. I thought, “I could make a really cute little church!” Then I got to thinking some more and I thought, “You know, I could make that look like Immanuel Lutheran in Havillah really easy” From there the inspiration just snowballed (pun intended).
For those who don’t know. This is the church the Kevin and I got married in. Not to mention his parents and grandparents where also married there along with many, many relatives and friends. Kevin’s great-grandpa was one of the first pastors there too. Let’s just say the church, the whole area really, is a very special place. So what better a spot to try and render in gingerbread.
I think I did a decent job too, as most people recognized it on the spot! (I’m betting the green roof is the key
)
I don’t know how many of the Havillah folks read this (or even use the internet) but hopefully someone will and would be kind enough to print off a picture to show the others….I’d really appreciate that.
Candy summary:
- Church roof – sour apple Laffy Taffy
- Steeple – Coffee beans
- Doors, bridge, boats – wafer cookies
- window panes – yellow fruit roll-up
- sled – two candy canes with fruit roll-up on top
- Cabin roof – peanut brittle
- Christmas lights – chocolate covered sunflower seeds
*most everything was found in the bulk bins at WinCo Foods.
All this fun comes at a cost thought. You should have seen my dining room afterwards! Oh wait, I have a picture…… Fortunately (unfortunately…I’m not really sure) the gingerbread crew showed up again to help with clean up.
No comments:
Post a Comment