Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Christmas Dress

Most every year we try to get the kids a new “dressy” outfit for the holiday season. I generally shop consignment so getting something ‘brand new’ is a treat, is usually warranted, and can be worn before/during/after the holiday. Hence the trek to Boise yesterday. First we went to Cabela’s and the Zoo. Then we headed over to Kohl’s located in the dread mall….da da dum.

(I know some folks love malls but Kevin and I really aren’t fans. Too many people, too fast-paced. I’m not a good browser. I’m a know what you want in-and-out kind of gal so unless I’m there for social reasons I generally try to avoid them.)

Since she’s 2.5 and opinionated I figured that Emilie should have some say on her Christmas dress. I pulled items I liked off the rack and said, "What about this one?" My choices all got "no's." Finally, Kevin selects one and says, “Isn’t this cute?”…YES (Daddy’s girl to the end)!   While not MY favorite, I don’t have to wear it, and I can live with her/Kevin’s selection (the one on the left)

dresschoice

While the great dress debate was ensuing, Jack was standing around shuffling his feet and repeatedly asking when we could go ride the escalator again. For Jack malls are a quasi-amusement park where the goal is to plan a route that gives you the maximum number of escalator rides possible. That, and hope you can convince Mom & Dad to buy you that 1.5 pound box of nerds (that was a ‘no’). Needless to say, picking out clothes is soooooooooo booooring. He’ll pretty much agrees to whatever I show him just so we can be done. I guess that’s why it was so amusing to see him insist that Emilie needed the outfit on the right.

Striped leggings, multi-colored tutu with sequins, 3D layered ribbon Christmas tree design complete with a large rhinestone on top. Knowing Emilie, I’m a bit shocked she didn’t pick it herself (You should have seen the Thanksgiving turkey version of this gem…..hysterical). It was Jack though. He was insistent that this was Emilie’s dress. I’d tell him, “No, we picked this one (showing him Em’s choice) and we’d go to walk away and he’d run back crying, “We can’t forget Emilie’s dress!” To be honest it was a little bizarre and out of character for him.

Thankfully, this is Kohl’s and both dresses were 40% off. So Kevin and I talked it over and ended up with both. Jack’s choice can be his Christmas gift to her….. and I’m going to remember not to take him along next time I need a dress because his fashion sense scares me a bit Winking smile

No comments: