All things considered it hasn’t been the greatest of weeks here at our house but we’re muddling through.
First off Kevin is one of those ‘non-essential’ government employees. He’s been furloughed since Tuesday. Since he’s been working so hard and putting in long hours lately it’s been nice to have him home, but a little weird. This feels like an eternal weekend that just won’t end. Plus, being at the mercy of Congress and their squabbles we have little to no control over the situation. Kevin joked about going to work for one of the contractors he works with often. The owner said he’d hire him but since all their jobs are government contracts he and all his employees are out of work too. Darn trickle down effect! For now we are making the most of it but come October 14th when the next paycheck was/is due…. Well, let’s just say things could get interesting.
Second, we got a call mid-week that Kevin’s grandpa (age 92) fell and broke his arm. He’s not the steadiest on his feet to begin with (use a cane or walker) and needs both hands for balance so the injury landed him in a wheelchair. He’s been frustrated with the whole process and hasn’t been eating or drinking properly which has led to dehydration and problems with his kidneys and admission to the hospital. Being in the hospital does not help to improve his mood. Let’s just say the whole family is a bit anxious about him right now….
Finally, I realized yesterday morning that sometime in the past 24 hours that my wedding ring had come off. With all my weight loss efforts it’s been loose for some time. Kevin’s ring slides off his finger all the time and we’ve both been putting off going to get them resized. Kevin was relating a story he and a co-worker were having about loose rings yesterday morning. I said something like, “Yeah, see how loose mine is.” and held up my left hand to find no ring at all. I know I had it Thursday, but I can’t say exactly when. Were still searching though. I try to tell myself it’s a just a ring, a piece of jewelry…but let’s be honest. It’s my wedding band/engagement ring. There’s a lot of sentimental value associated with it.
As you can see it hasn’t been the most fantastic week. Don’t feel that we are wallowing in self pity though. Things have been, dare I say, stressful but there are many things to be thankful for too. We’ve been enjoying the free time with the kids went to the pumpkin patch, carved some pumpkins, burned brush (which means a weenie roast/s’more party). Today I think we’re going to try fishing/firewood hunting up north. We’re healthy, we do have a savings account, and we have an incredible supportive family. I have a running list in my head and could go on….
I would ask for your prayers though. Mostly for Grandpa Steinbach and then the end to the shutdown. You could always tack on that you hope I find my ring, but in the grand scheme of things it really is just an object and not the most important thing at the time being.
Here’s to a better week next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment