Friday, August 23, 2013

Moms Don’t Get Sick Days

I was just saying to Kevin last week how we’ve been lucky and I can’t recall anyone in our house having more than a slight sniffle since at least February. Should have knocked on wood. There has been a bug circulating around this house off and on for the last week.

Emilie had it Sunday. She was feverish most of the day and in the wee hours of Monday morning decided to toss her proverbial cookies. Got it all in the toilet too! I was impressed.

Tuesday and Wednesday both kids seemed fine, but Wednesday afternoon Jack decided to take a nap (atypical for him) and woke up running a temperature. His nose was snufflely and he said his head hurt. Thursday morning his fever was still sitting about 101. Though with medicine it would drop and it was easy to tell he was feeling better because he’d actually get off the couch to play a little.

Around noon Thursday his fever finally seemed to break. Just in time for me to start feeling like crap. As the afternoon wore on I went downhill. My head was pounding, I ached all over, and I could tell my temperature was rising. Great, just great.

I hung in until Kevin got home then curled up on the couch. I probably should have just packed it in and gone to bed then, but I stuck it out until the kids went to bed at 8:30. It was a restless night for me. I like to be cool when I sleep and I was definitely not cool last night. At 4am Jack came in the say he “burped” (threw-up). That was just the cherry on a rough night.

I wonder if puking is the final hurrah for the bug? Jack seems to be pretty much his normal self, just a little tired this morning. If so is there a way I can avoid that please?

Moms don’t get sick days so I’d rather not be hanging over the toilet. Did enough of that when I was pregnant to last me two lifetimes. I suppose I could ask Kevin to stay home, but they’re pretty busy at the Forest Service right now and I like to save that request for when I’m really incapacitated. I guess I’ll just soldier on.

Kevin noted this morning I’m pretty awesome because even when I’m feeling cruddy clean laundry still ends up on his shelves, the dishes get washed, and the kids get fed. Awwwww, how sweet! I think I have a pretty awesome husband for noticing that and saying something.

I would like to point out that I did not clean the floors, though they are in desperate need, because running the vacuum with a pounding head did not appeal. It’s fine though because no one will every notice the crumbs under the layer of hot wheels, baby dolls, and puzzle pieces that the kids have spread out.

Well, here’s to all of us feeling better in the next day or so, and fingers crossed that Kevin avoids this altogether!

No comments: