I got a phone call earlier this week from one of my oldest and dearest friends this week. She said the stars had aligned properly and she had some free time and would I mind if she came for a visit? Now last time I say this particular friend was 5 years ago at her wedding. We write back and forth and chat through Facebook but we haven’t physically seen each other. She’s never met either of the kids. So when she asked to come visit I didn’t even have to think twice before saying, “YES!!!” I pretty much hung up the phone, threw clean sheets on the guest bed, and started counting down the hours until Effie would arrive.
You know that friend where no matter how much time passes between visits you can pick up and carry on like you just saw each other yesterday? Well, that’s Effie to me. We have had such a great time catching up the last few days. We went through may scrapbooks (earliest of which is dated 1997) and laughed over our past nerdy-ness and marveled at how much we’ve changed and yet are so very much the same.
Jack and Effie hit it off like peas and carrots. I think Effie learned more about tractors than she ever knew she wanted too. She also got taught about the wonderfulness that are dirt and rocks. Plus she passed on her own wisdom of throwing rocks in the water, blowing dandelions, and how every rainbow has a hidden second rainbow with all the colors in reverse. Effie also got to witness, first hand, the stubborn determinedness and humor that is a two year old little girl. She was taught about how wonderful “ballooneys” are and that wet wipes can solve all manner of tears.
I enjoyed being able to share our newfound (new since the last time we saw each other anyways) love of running together with runs on the canyon rim and taking her around to all the best spots in my current hometown. It was just a wonderful visit all around. I can’t wait to get together again…and we definitely will not be waiting five years to do so.
No comments:
Post a Comment