Saturday, March 16, 2013

Beat the Gorge

Today the whole family traipsed down the the beautiful Malad Gorge Unit of Thousand Springs State Park to participate in the 23rd annual St. Patrick’s Day Run/Walk hosted by the Hagerman Chamber of Commerce. Sadly, though I took my camera I forgot to put the memory card back in it, so no pictures from this run Sad smile. Oh well, there’s always next year.

Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyRun

Kevin and the kiddo’s (in the double jogger) participated in the 3.5 mile walk while I got spunky and did the 5.5 mile run. Official times haven’t been posted yet, but Kevin finished in around 55 minutes and I finished in 57. So that’s about a 15 min/mile pace for Kevin pushing roughly 65lbs of kids/stroller and about a 10.5 min/mile pace for me. Not to shabby.

Today I tried taking Shot Blok chews while running. This is a first for me since I don’t usually run long enough to need them. They are generally used for long distance runs to help keep your energy up and level. Since I’m training for a 1/2 marathon right now I figured I should find a energy shot I like and that doesn’t upset my stomach. Got to say I like these little chews. They are kind of like a big gummy bear. I took two about 15 minutes before I ran since breakfast was about 3 hours in the past. Then I took two more right around mile 3 just before the water station. I think they did their job. I tend to get bad side aches when I run and they usually hit around 2.5/3 miles. Today, not even a twinge and I didn’t feel wiped out when I finished. So far, so good.

Oh, and about that finish…there was green beer waiting! Can’t have a proper St. Patty’s run without green beer. There was also a post-race trout feed with some amazing BBQ smoked teriyaki trout! Sooooooo yummy! We’re going to need to go fishing now so that we can try to recreate this dish.

Plus, as any good Magic Valley resident knows, Buhl is totally on the way home from Hagerman, and no trip through Buhl is complete without a stop at Cloverleaf Creamery. Ice Cream all around!!! Tried the Lemon Custard today and I highly recommend it.

The only downside to the day was that while fixing the stroller this morning I irritated my lower back. I broke a seat panel in the stroller awhile back and to repair it we had to pull out the busted panel and replace it with a new one. That meant ripping open a seam and said seam had to be resewn once the panel was replaced. The sewing took awhile and I was standing leaning over the whole time. By the time I finished my low back was good and stiff. I did some stretches, wiggled around a bit, and it felt pretty good while I ran, but by the time I got home it was screaming nasty things at me. Thankfully a couple of ibuprofen and a few hours on the hot pad on the couch and it seems to be happier.

No comments: