Saturday, January 12, 2013

Joggin’ for Your Noggin’

IMG_8660

Today was my very first 5k for the new year. I must admit I was a little nervous about it too. With the weather being less than favorable lately, I haven’t actually run outside since I ran at the in-law’s place over Thanksgiving. I’ve been doing lots of exercise DVDs and using the elliptical but it doesn’t exactly replicate the effect of cross-country runs…. Plus the thermometer said 14 degrees when I got up, it snowed a couple of inches last night, and it was still snowing a bit this morning. Not exactly conditions to get excited about.

This is exactly why I don’t mind paying to run 5k events. I like to use my money wisely and I won’t toss $30 out the window without a darn good reason! So I put on some extra layers, borrowed the hubby’s Balaclava, grabbed my hat and gloves and off to the 5K I went!IMG_8668I’d say about 40 people, both walking and running, turned out despite the cold. This run was a local girl’s senior project. She’s had several concussions over the years and has had to give up competitive sports (she played volleyball) as a result. So Joggin’ for Your Noggin was to raise money to set up baseline testing for local high school athletes.

There was more than a little irony in the fact that we ran today on packed snow and ice. There were some slick patches and the downhill grades were sketchy. Getting a concussion if you fell was a real possibility. I didn’t fall….well I gracefully wiped out in the parking lot walking in to register, but I didn’t actually fall while running the race.

Below is the course map. I finished in a respectable 35:02. This is only 2:92 off my current record. Pretty respectable time considering the conditions.

Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyRun

No comments: