Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Big Three-Oh !

IMG_8378Yesterday was the big day….the one I’ve been waiting for all year, and I’m not talking about Christmas either. Yesterday, was my 30th birthday. I know some folks dread turning 30, like it somehow means they are old and over the hill and all that, but it really doesn’t bother me in the least. In fact, I’ve been looking forward to it.

See when you tell people you are 29 they often tend to think you are being coy and ‘lying’ about your age, “Oh, you know me, 29 again….for the 8th year in a row.” When you tell people you are 30 they almost always believe you. That, and for some odd reason I feel like being 30 makes me a real grown-up! Like being married for 7 years and having 2 kids wasn’t enough proof of my adult-ness already.

 If I take a moment to reflect on my 30 years of existence, I’ve got to say I’ve been pretty darned blessed. I have wonderful parents who recently celebrate 33 years of marriage and have always been there to support and encourage. I’ve got some fantastic sisters and even though we get a little snippy at times I know they’ll always be there fore me. I’ve got a bunch of friends, the nearest and dearest of which have been my friends forever….(Seriously, the title holder sets the bar at 27 years of friendship..we’ve known each other since we were 3.) I’ve got an incredible husband who is the best man I could have ever asked for (and who came with the most amazing in-laws EVER!!!) and two beautiful,healthy children. Yes, life has had it’s downs and ups….but mostly it’s been ups and it only feels like it’s getting better!

So happy HAPPY birthday to me!

Yes, for those who wish to know, Kevin and the kids did a great job of spoiling me rotten. Kevin made a Pannekoeken for breakfast which is similar to a German Pancake (or “Big Baby” for my Wannamaker kin.) He and the kids put a candle in it and sang “Happy Birthday.”

IMG_8395

Later in the day we went down to Miracle Hot Springs in Hagerman to see the Alligators and soak in the hot springs. It even had the decency to snow while we were soaking. Now I can check “swimming in a snowstorm” off on my ‘to-do’ list!

IMG_8387pmAfter a good soak I was taken to dinner at the Snake River Grill. The food there is pretty darn good. I had steak and catfish…you can’t argue with that. It was a great day all around. I loved all the well wishes and birthday greetings from my friends and family.

Here’s to the next year being the best yet!

1 comment:

Analilia said...

Happy Birthday! You do not look 30!