Sunday, December 30, 2012

Merry Christmas!

IMG_8492

IMG_8499We enjoyed a nice quiet Christmas here in Idaho and I figure I’d better get this post up before we ring in the new year. The Saturday before the holiday we finished up the last of our ‘to-do’ list with a morning trip to the grocery store and were able to sit back and relax for a few days. It was really nice to have no schedule whatsoever and to just do nothing.

I read three books that I had received for my birthday, got back within my “6 Month” goal on my scrapbooking (simply stated I try to be more than 6 months ‘behind’…so since it is December everything through June 2012 is done), and just enjoyed playing with the kids. Kevin did some baking he’s been wanting to do and finished pulling to worn-out studs off a set of snow tires so that the tires can replace the almost-bald ones on the Toyota.

IMG_8501Christmas Eve we went to the candlelight service at church. Both of the kids were a little tired and wiggly so we let them play in the kids room in the back. Mid-sermon Jack comes sauntering back out to our pew and says, “Daddy, I have to pee!” The couple behind us were just busting up laughing so I glance over and sure enough Jack has his pants around his ankles and is mooning the whole church. Everyone in the back two or three rows got a free show! We’ve really got to work on keeping ones’ britches up until you are in the bathroom…..

The other Christmas eve outtake was having Jack start singing “Happy Birthday” as they lit the candles for the final song. Technically it is Jesus’ birthday, so why not? I am in constant anticipation of what sort of things Emilie will come up with as she grows and becomes more verbal.

IMG_8508Speaking of the kids, they must have been really good this year. Santa spoiled them and as usual I was overwhelmed by the generosity of our friends and family. Christmas morning Jack was up by 7am. In a stroke of genius a few of the kids’ gifts were left unwrapped and ready to be played with. It helped draw out the morning a bit longer. Still once the sock was open and he’d thoroughly inspected the open gifts Jack was more than happy to wake up his soundly sleeping sister so that he could tear into some of the wrapped boxes. Emilie was a trooper and it didn’t take her long to get into the spirit of things (though she took an early nap that day). There was paper and packing flying for a good 45 minutes.

IMG_8506IMG_8515

After we’d opened all the gifts we dug into cinnamon rolls an sausage for breakfast with Egg Nog and LBCR Coffee to wash it down. That was followed a few hours later by prime rib, burgundy mushrooms, green beans, and mashed potatoes with whiskey crème sauce for lunch. Oddly, nobody was very hungry for dinner…..

IMG_8569While we did not have a white Christmas (we had a light, can-still-see-the-grass, dusting and that was it) Old Man Winter came through Christmas night. We ended up with about 5” of snow and the weather has stayed nice and cold so it should stick around for awhile. We’ve made angels, and had attempts at snowball fights. Both kids have a love for sledding…not to mention Mom & Dad. We did some small hills in our yard and then took them to a bigger hill at a park behind the local grocery store after church today. We have a high-backed ‘baby’ sled which both kids will willingly use for solo rides, but they also enjoy riding the big sled down with Mom or Dad.

IMG_8543IMG_8570

I supposed next week we’ll have to trade in this life of leisure for reality again, but until then we’ll just savor the last of 2012.

Santapic2012

No comments: