Duchow Gingerbread Decorating Day 2012 was held yesterday. I came prepared this year and had made (with Jack’s helped) and assembled our Gingerbread creations earlier in the week so that all we had to do was ice and decorate. Plus, our buildings were rock hard and solid which is great when dealing with Gingerbread and preschoolers.
Every year I say I’m going to scale back a little, but you know how that works. There was plenty of dough left over after cutting out the house pieces and I had found this ginger train template online….. Give me credit though, the pattern had pieces for a locomotive, coal car, lumber car, & caboose; but I opted for just the locomotive.
As for the house, I was doing well till I saw a picture of a gingerbread house with a porch and I thought, “Oh we can do that easy….”
Still, with everything prepped in advance the whole thing turned out pretty easy. I even got inspired and made a couple of Christmas trees from inverted sugar cones.
The kids still don’t have a huge attention span for gingerbread decorating. Jack helped Kevin with about half of the train and then spent the rest of time loading and dumping chocolate rocks with his front loader and dump truck. Emilie was mostly interested in consuming as much sugar as possible as fast as possible. She was pretty good at smearing things down with icing.
As tradition dictates several of the kids’ toys volunteered for duty at the “Little Gingerbread Cabin in the Woods.” The train turned out pretty neat too. Kevin even made tracks for it. I’m thinking next year we might skip the house and try making more cars for the train. Until then I present to you Gingerbread 2012:
Little Gingerbread Cabin in the Woods:
…and the Ginger Locomotive:
2 comments:
Um, wow!! Cassie, did you do this growing up, or is this something you two started in your own family? Love the raccoon with the swedish fish. Hilarious. But, there had to be an opportunity for chevrons in there somewhere, right? ;) I guess the other awesomeness makes up for missing the chevron-tunity.
Hmmm, I could have put chevrons on the porch or as shutters.... As for past experience, yea we did Gingerbread houses almost every year as kids. Some years they were small, and some they were big, but there was always gingerbread..
Post a Comment