Monday, December 10, 2012

A Merry Kiss-Mouse (or is that Moose?) Tradition

Christmas traditions, most families have one or two…or more. There’s the currently popular “Elf on the Shelf,” hiding a pickle ornament on your tree, advent calendars, annual ornaments, new PJ’s on Christmas Eve, etc. I’d like to share one from my family….the ‘Kiss-mouse’

IMG_8305

This is my Kiss-mouse. It’s been on every family Christmas tree I can ever remember having. My dear Great Aunt Ellie (who will be 97 years young this coming February) made them for my sisters and me way back when. I think my grandparents had a pair on their tree, which means there is a good possibility my cousins have some as well, but I’m not sure. Anyway….

The mouse is a vinyl weave made using plastic canvas and the tag reads, “Squeeze my cheeks and I’ll give you a Kiss.” There is the perfect space inside for a Hershey’s chocolate kiss.

As a child you never knew when there would be a Kiss waiting for you so you’d have to check in constantly and every now and then one would magically appear.

This is a tradition I desperately wanted to pass on to my kids, but two kisses don’t fit in one Kiss-mouse and with patience and turn-taking not being their strongest points I had decided to kind of gloss over the Kiss-mouse until the kids were bigger.

Wouldn’t you know it, my little sister found herself in a similar predicament with her Kiss-mouse. The only difference is that she has got some experience with vinyl weave. So at Thanksgiving when my Dad stopped in to see use he passes on these little beauties that my sister made.

IMG_8306IMG_8307

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She changed it up a bit by making Kiss-Moose (or is that Meese?? Smile with tongue out ) but the end result is the same, and pretty darned cute. Emilie claimed the green one and Jack scored the red. It took one demonstration for them to catch onto the Kiss thing. They check them about 15 to 20 gazillion times a day, even though I tell them the Moose only has enough power to generate 1 Kiss every 24 hours….alas they have little concept of time and just keep checking away.

It’s been a lot of fun sharing this tradition with the kids. Now I just have to talk Mandy into making a Mouse for Kevin and we’re set!

P.S. Mandy, when you make Kevin his mouse he requests you make it large enough to hold those jumbo baseball-sized Kisses please….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are so cute! I dont know how to make one though...maybe your sister should sell them!
Juliana

Anonymous said...

i can make kevin a mouse. Or maybe a penguin? i made hannah a frog. Do you really want that a baseball kiss-mouse?