Tomorrow marks the end of my first week here in Virginia. So far it hasn’t been that bad…
For those of you wondering I’m not really out here for a pleasure trip. My big sister started a new job this past Monday as a patent reviewer for petroleum engineering patents with the Patent and Trade Administration (hopefully I got that all right). This is here first time back to the workforce since her oldest was born and he turns 5 at the end of the year. She was officially offered the job last Wednesday and started Monday (The patent office has fast turn around.) Needless to say there was not much time to find childcare so that’s where I come in. I pretty much packed up the kids and myself and flew across the country to help….yes I can, and if remotely possible, will drop everything and come if I have a friend/family member in need.
So far I’m doing pretty much the same things I do at home, but in my sister’s house with twice as many kids. (My nephews Clayton (Clay) and Wesley are 4.5 and almost 2.) I’m doing the preschool pick-up/drop off for Clay, feeding kids, washing dishes, picking up the house, doing laundry, walking the dog, cooking dinner, and whatever else I can lend a hand to.
Emilie is in love with my sister’s lab, and my former Guide Dog Puppy, Picata. (Picata’s in the teen years, which makes her an old lady in the dog world. She sleeps a lot but is fantastic with the kids.) Emilie solicits full on ‘french’ kisses from her then laughs. Jack calls her ‘Pup’ and just wants to feed her whatever he thinks she’s like…cereal, hotdogs, whatever. Picata is a bit of a food hound a fully appreciates him.
As I said at the beginning it hasn’t been too bad so far. The kids are getting along as well as can be expected for the under 5 set. They ride bikes, play in the backyard, and are really good at wearing each other out. The only real issues is that between it being ‘back-to-school’ season and the fact that they are ‘new’ to each other from opposite sides of the country; they have some nice germs to exchange. Carrie’s kids have been taking turn puking the last two days and mine have some impressive snot flowing from their noses. Everybody is a little, um, loose in the toilet department, and even the dog pitched in by barfing on the floor Monday afternoon (she politely waited until AFTER that long walk to park and we were back indoors….thanks dog.) I feel like I’ve spent waaaaaaay too much time cleaning up other people’s bodily fluids.
Hopefully, things will settle down in the next few days. I’m hoping to get out to see the sights this weekend. My sister and brother-in-law are less than an hour from Washington D.C. and I’ve never been to our nation’s capitol.
I’ve got some great pictures to share, but (and I’ve told my sister this) the computer here is so ‘ancient’ that is doesn’t have a built in card reader and the only USB plug-ins are in the back….old I tell ya. Needless to say, I haven’t figured out a way to get the pictures off my camera. But when I do I'll share.
No comments:
Post a Comment