A few weeks back I was strapping Emilie into her carseat and I realized the day had finally come. Her head was less than one inch from the top of the shell on her carseat. In laymen’s terms….she’d outgrown it.
Currently she’s rear facing in a Graco Safeseat. This seat has a weight limit of 30lbs, which considering she’s right around 20ish (haven’t weighed her in a few months so I’m guesstimating) we’re well inside the limit there. It’s the height that’s got us. The Safeseat has a 32 inch height recommendation. This means most children will outgrow the seat by the time they are 32 inches high. However, knowing that children have a wide range of proportions the rule is that your child’s head should be 1 or more inches below the top of the carseat shell. Emilie is not quite 32 inches, but it would appear she may have picked up the long torso from her Wannamaker side as her head has definitely reached the inch mark.
What does this mean though? It means Jack is getting a new carseat.
Wait….Jack? I thought you said Emilie had outgrown her seat?
Yep, but it’s Jack that is getting a new seat. The seat he is currently in is a convertible and can be installed rear facing. I hope to keep Emilie rear facing until at least age 2 (this is the AAP recommendation) so she is going to be in the Britax Marathon from now on.
Jack’s new ride is a Graco Argos 70 which we got this weekend. He’s loving the cup holder and toy pockets. Plus this seat sits a little lower than the Britax and it is easier from him to get in and out by himself….big plus for Mom! This seat is also a convertible booster. For now he is still in a 5 point harness (which the plan is to leave him in until age 5) but this carseat can convert to a highback booster and then eventually to a regular booster. Considering the weight goes up to 120lbs, this is hopefully the last carseat we’re going to have to buy. By the time Emilie reaches the max on the Britax (65 lbs.) Jack should be big enough to use a regular booster seat no problem.
Now I’m going to get out my soapbox here and voice a few of my thoughts on carseat safety, so if you aren’t interested just stop reading here:
I could have just bought another convertible for Emilie, but then I would have needed another seat when Jack maxed out his, and another when Emilie maxed out her new one. I also could have gotten something cheaper and saved some money. Carseats however, are one thing I won’t skimp on. They are soooo important for safety. It’s the one piece of baby gear that you MUST have! Seriously, hospitals won’t let you take your baby home without a carseat. They are also something you are going to use most every day with your child. So why would you make your purchase based on whatever it cheapest, or has the ‘cutest’ pattern? (No kidding, I’ve met people who chose their carseat based on one or both of those factors)
But aren’t all carseats required to meet federal standards? If that is the case what does it matter if I buy the cheap carseat or the high end one? It really doesn’t matter except that the Federal standard is that the carseat has to withstand crashes at 35mph. That’s the average speed you drive in a neighborhoods around here. Call me paranoid, but personally, I want a carseat that has a chance to survive the big nasty crash….not just the neighborhood fender bender. I’m willing to pay a little more up front for a carseat that does more than just meet the minimum.
Also, once you get your carseat. Make sure, no matter what, that it is installed correctly and you know how to properly harness your child. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen people post pictures of their child in the carseat and cringed because their child is improperly strapped…..
Finally, make sure you research your state and federal laws for carseat use. While all state laws require you meet the federal minimum, some states have additional requirements. In Idaho children under age 1 MUST be in a rearfacing carseat. For Children 1 year old to 4 years (typically 20 to 40 pounds) a forward facing child safety seat is recommended with harness straps positioned on the child’s shoulders, complete with a harness chest clip positioned at the armpit level, and in the upright position (not reclined), and always in the rear seat of the vehicle. Children ages 4 to 6 MUST be in an approved booster seat, using both lap and shoulder belts, NEVER with lap belt only. The seat should be located in the rear vehicle seat, facing forward while the lap belt is positioned across the top of child’s thigh and the shoulder belt should be centered across the shoulder and chest.
I did quite a bit of research and talked to other Moms who use different seats before deciding on any of the carseats I’ve purchased. Most of the decision were based on safety and needs of the family before price. I strongly encourage all of you carseat shopping to do your research before selecting a carseat. It really is a very important decision and not to be taken too lightly.
No comments:
Post a Comment