Thursday, April 19, 2012

Motivation

As many of you know I’ve been working hard to drop the extra weight I’m carrying and get into better shape. Running has really been helpful, but I’ve also been doing some strength programs to help tone my muscles. This in turn helps improve the running so I win in more than one way by doing it. I’ll be honest though, it’s not always fun. I don’t wake up every morning going, “Yeah, another day to exercise until sweat is dripping down my face!!!!” Don’t get me wrong the results make it worth it, and I do take a day off once or twice a week. Still there are days I need to remember why I’m working so hard.

My main motivation is the kids. My OB made an off-handed comment once to the tune of: “We, as parents, are the best example for our kids. If you want them to lead a healthy lifestyle then you need to show them what that is. You can talk to them about being healthy all you want, but if you eat junk food and live a sedentary lifestyle what is that really saying to them?”

His comment really stuck with me and I am determined to get back down to a healthy weight so I can set a good example and, not to mention, keep up with them. I’m proud to say it’s working. When I turn on my exercise DVD Jack will get out my mat and weights. The whole time I’m sweating along, mentally cursing Jillian Michaels, I can hear Jack saying, “Good job mama!”, “We’re doing our exercises!”, “Beautiful work!” (he picked up that last one from Jillian Michaels herself) Trust me there is no way to talk yourself out of getting your exercise in for the day when that little voice is rooting you on. Besides its rather funny to see him hopping along with me and ‘exercising’ himself. I look forward to the day both kids can go running with me!

In the meantime, I caught Jack in the act the other day with the camera. I was in the closet sorting laundry and he did this all by himself. He’s not supposed to be on the elliptical but I had to take a picture first. He even has my iPod hanging around his neck. Guess the example, is rubbing off! It it impossible to tell that little face ‘no’ when he says, “Are we gonna do our exercises mamma?”

IMG_5413

Oh, and once I got my picture I told him to hop off and “Hit the showers, get a drink of water.” Thought I was being funny and forgot he’d take it literally. He ran into the bathroom, got a cup from the tub that had bathwater from the night before in it,…and drank it.

No comments: