Saturday, April 7, 2012

Birthday Party!!

Emilie’s birthday went really well yesterday. It was a busy morning with Jack’s preschool Easter party (Jack & his class sang Emilie Happy Birthday) and finishing errands to get some last minute birthday things. Once we got home it took a good two hours to convince Emilie to take a nap because she was so wound up from the morning. Thankfully, Kevin came home not long after I’d gotten her down and took Jack in to town to run some errands of his own. I had just enough time to pick up, decorate, finish the cake, and make dinner before the boys came back and Emmy woke up.

IMG_5182‘Sock Monkey’ was the theme, and even though it was just the four of us celebrating I had fun decorating. I used bananas to anchor the balloons. That was my clever fix of the day! We even went as far as getting an actual Sock Monkey; it was Jack’s gift for Em.

For dinner we had some of Emilie’s favorites. Macaroni and Cheese (known as Cheesy Noodles around here), Strawberries, and Apple Juice. 

IMG_5192

 

 

 

   

 

After dinner we moved directly onto cake and ice cream. My kids aren’t very tidy eaters and there is no sense in cleaning them up twice if you don’t have to.

IMG_5186IMG_5208

Of course it was a Sock Monkey cake. I made it myself and was quite pleased with how it turned out. I was afraid it would look lopsided or creepy, but the monkey actually looks decent. Most importantly it tasted good….Devil’s food cake with chocolate cream cheese filling. Emilie’s obviously enjoyed it as you can see below.

IMG_5209

IMG_5211IMG_5227IMG_5233IMG_5230

Oh yeah, she got into it! Scarfed down the frosting and most of the cake. She had it on her face, shirt, and even in her hair.

IMG_5232

Given her passion for cake eating we adjourned to the tub after dinner/cake before opening presents. Jack ‘assisted’ her in present opening. That means he opened the presents and shoved them in Emilie’s direction before moving on the next one. Right now Emilie doesn’t really care one way or the other about Jack’s antics, but I’m thinking Christmas could be a real eye-opener.

IMG_5255IMG_5266

IMG_5245IMG_5257

It was a fantastic day. I think everyone who sent their love and well wishes for this sweet little girl. How fast this first year has gone and how blessed we are to have Emilie as a part of our family!

No comments: