Stay At Home Mom
Yup, that’s me! As of last Friday (the 3rd) I am officially a full-time stay at home mom with all the right, privileges, and frustrations that come with the title. It has been in the works for some time. In fact, Kevin and I have discussed since we found out we were expecting Jack. I never went back to full-time work after Jack and since Emilie I haven’t worked on a permanent basis. Originally we’d figured I’d switch to being a stay at home mom by the time Jack started kindergarten. It just happened a little sooner than anticipated.
I guess you could say we’ve been ‘easing’ into it since having Emilie. It’s been hard for me to let go of the career. I liked my job. I liked my co-workers. I liked having that adult interaction. The extra income wasn’t bad either. However, I also liked being home with the kids and not having to schedule errands, outings, housework, and everything else around work.
So far the switch hasn’t been that difficult. I’ve always had the kids with me when I’m not at work so that’s nothing new to adjust too really. Surprisingly the hardest part was pulling Emilie from daycare. Not because I don’t want her with me all day, but because feel like I’m depriving her care providers of the chance to watch her grow. The ladies at the Infant Care Center are the sweetest most wonderful group of women. They make you feel like you are dropping your child off at Grandma’s house for the day and not just some daycare center. They truly love each and every one of those kids and we will miss them…though we have be sworn to return and visit from time to time.
Jack is still at Step Ahead, but we’ve switched him down to preschool hours. He goes 4 days a week for a couple of hours in the morning.
The other hard part is longer having regular interaction with other adults. Hopefully that will be remedied soon. A friend from Facebook pointed me to a website that hosts local groups. One of the groups is a “Moms Group” and it allows mom’s to arrange “meet ups” to do things together. Say you want to go the the park. You can post a meet up saying “Let’s hand out at such-and-such park and tire out the kiddos on this date/time” I haven’t been to an event yet (I only signed up last week) but I’m very hopeful about getting to know some other mother’s in the area.
I always loved that my Mom was a stay at home Mom. She was always there for carpools, field trips, and anything you needed her for. I am eternally appreciative of that and it is something I want my kids to have too. So here I go (well “we go” since really it’s a family move) on a new chapter in life! Stay at home motherhood, here I come!
1 comment:
Congratulations!
I love the line: "...rights, privileges, and frustrations" Isn't that the truth!
Enjoy!
Post a Comment