In an effort to lose weight, get healthier, and keep up with Jack. I started doing the Couch to 5K program. It is a program designed to get non-runners of the couch and running for 30 minute stretches (about 5K depending on your speed) in 9 weeks. The first week is a five minute warm-up walk then intervals of 60 seconds of running followed by 90 seconds of walking and ending with a five minute cool-down walk. It gradually steps up the running time and decreases the walking time. Each week you do the same run three times with a at least one rest day in between. I’m almost done with Week Seven and I am running for 25 minutes and no longer have walking breaks except for the warm-up/cool down walks.
I’m not a fast runner by any means but I’m really good at plugging along. The tortoise from 'The Tortoise and the Hare’ best describes me. Slow and steady. Hopefully as the weight comes off (I’ve lost 10lbs already) and my endurance increases I will be able to go faster.
So back to the 5K. It was last Saturday, down in the Snake River Canyon at Centennial Park. I did the 5k Run, Kevin did the 5k walk with both kids in the stroller. The hardest part was that there was a pretty good hill right off the bat. I walked up that, I’m used to a 5 minute warm-up walk anyways. The rest of it I ran. Had to run back down the same hill at the end. Kevin said when he went down with the stroller Jack was excited about all the runners. He scooted as far forward as he could get in the seat and hollered, “I RUNNIN’, I RUNNIN’ and wiggled back and forth. He’s heavy enough that it made the stroller jerk around. Kevin had to hang on tight.
Jack also did a 40yd dash. By the time he finished it was more like an 80yd dash though. He weaved back and forth laughing and giggling. Then he stopped about five feet from the finish line. Everybody was cheering for him to finish and pointing to the finish cone. One of the organizers went to go lead him to it. He saw her and took off in another direction laughing, before turning around and passing the cone.
Emilie came along to…she did the 0yd-sit-in-the-stroller-and-chill event. She seemed to enjoy all the colors and movement though.
The video below is of Jack’s run. I don’t have any pictures of me…since I was running obviously. Plus I really don’t look that hot when I’m hot. Red faced and sweaty just doesn’t photograph well.
I would like to acknowledge a couple of people why I have the chance. The 4 people who were instrumental in getting me up and running.
- Kevin, for always encouraging me and telling me I can do it….and for telling me that I don’t need that soda, chocolate, etc. Even when I grouch at him and tell him “I’m and adult and can make my own decisions on what to eat”.
- Libby, who pointed me to Couch to 5k and suggested that signing up for a 5k was good motivation. You’re less likely to wimp out if you’ve paid money for something.
- My sister Carrie for suggesting I get up early and run because it is cooler, the kids are still snoozing, and there are no excuses or things to get in your way at the beginning of the day.
and
- Christy, who showed me the free Couch to 5k podcasts I could download to my iPod. Those made it so much easier as they told you when to run and when to walk. I didn’t have to keep time myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment