It’s been an even decade since I last showed at the Clark Co. Fair. I haven’t even been back to that fair as a visitor since that last year. Well, one of the former members of my old 4H club decided that a Showmanship competition pitting current 4Her’s against alumni would be fun. She cajoled, begged, and pleaded and got several of us to show up on a overcast Saturday to see what we could remember.
The kids we were showing against weren’t even eligible to be in 4H when I showed, and I think I was closer in age to the judge. My how time has passed!
It was fun, but the expression, “If you don’t use it you lose it” is true and showed clearly. I can still handle a rabbit pretty well (though I don’t think the girl who loaned me her Mini Rex was convinced), and the basics of care and husbandry are still there. However, all those disease details, terms about marking, which breed positions how, etc. are pretty much gone.
I wasn’t the only one in that boat though, and somehow we all muddled through. We managed to have a pretty good time too. Though I’m still not quite sure where the flange is on a rabbit. I’m not even sure rabbits had flanges back in my day ;-P
No comments:
Post a Comment