Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Wrap Up

Kevin comes home today! He swears he’ll be on the noon plane, despite much grumbling of how early he’ll have to get up so he can drive the hour from Wilcox to the airport in Tucson. I have missed him sooooo much, and not just because I’ve been alone with the kids for 17days.

Yup, that’s right 17 days. He was supposed to be home after 14, but he extended for a few days so he could wrap things up with the contractors. When he told me he wouldn’t be home until Saturday it was one of the few times I rued his strong work ethic. Normally, it a great quality, but when it adds three more days away from his wife and family I admit I get a little perturbed.

Due to this whole experience I have a new found respect for the strength and ability of single parents, military spouses, and other individuals who care for their children without a significant other to help or while their better half is away. It takes a lot of energy, a lot of prayer, and some tears, but it can be done. Its sure not easy though! Those of you who do it completely rock!!

Still, I found I could do a lot more than I thought I could with two little kids in tow. I mowed the lawn (with a 1.25 acre lawn that’s no easy feet), I took both dogs to the vet, I did swimming lessons with Jack, and I managed to keep up with my Couch to 5K running program. That and the house doesn’t even look like a complete disaster! I will admit we ate out a lot more than normal, and I was a little lenient with Jack, but we made it!!

I wish I had some swimming lesson pictures for you, but with me and Jack both in the pool there was nobody to take photos this year. He had a blast though and will probably be disappointed on Monday when we don’t get to “go swimmin’” He loved going down the slide and jumping off the side as usual, but he also was dunking his head under the water and blowing bubbles. He even consented to laying on his back and kicking his legs as long as he was angled such that the sun was not in his eyes.

Emilie has discovered her feet and spends much of her time hanging on to them with both hands. So they don’t escape I guess? Plus she is a rolling queen front-to-back and back-to-front with ease. She can even sit unassisted for about two seconds before falling over.  The big accomplishment of the week is that since Monday she has been sleeping in the crib in her room with Big Brother!

Originally the plan was to have her sleep in the Pack ‘n’ Play in our room until she was six weeks or so and sleeping in longer stretches at night. Well, she’s 15 weeks so as you can see that timeline went right out the window. I kept worrying Jack would climb in her crib and wake her. Well, I finally decided to bite the proverbial bullet and just put her in there. I put her down around seven, so she was already in dream land by the time Jack went to bed at 8:30. Then I turned on the monitor and listened. Jack didn’t climb in her crib, but I learned he stays up for another hour or so playing with his toys before he goes to sleep. It explains a lot.

Well, I’d better go. The kids are calling and the floor needs vacuumed…again.

No comments: