Saturday, December 19, 2009

Rock Creek Lights

(a wide shot of the lights from the road)

There is this house up Rock Creek Road that puts the whole town of Twin Falls, and probably half the state to shame when it comes to hanging Christmas lights. The guy who own this places puts lights on just about every available surface. He has a whole shop dedicated to a miniature Santa's village, keeps a real Santa on hand to give Candy Canes to the kids, and brings out a live Camel to which you can feed carrots.


According to his fact sheet it takes three weeks to put up all the lights, and another three to take them down. They average 3000 guest per night for 30 nights. I can only imagine the electric bill for 200,000+ bulbs.

(Jack Meet Camel, Camel Meet Jack)
(I'd put this on my Christmas Card if I hadn't already done it)


Well, we went to go see that bit of Christmas Cheer last night after we attended dessert open house hosted by a co-worker for which I need to digress for a moment so we can talk Turkey....

The co-worker raises poultry and has this big Tom Turkey who roots on the edge of their front porch. He has designated himself as a security alarm/doorbell so when you walk to the door "GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE" pierces the night air! Since it is a little dark on that end of the porch you snap your head to the right and peer into the darkness where you can just make out that feathered Gargoyle shape perched on the railing; staring you down like he's the Godfather. Then comes the stating of the obvious, "Hey, there's a Turkey." Needless to say even though the dessert was good, the company was great, and the punch was even better, Ole' Tom really stole the show. If it wasn't for all the 'gifts' they leave behind, I think I'd consider a Turkey Doorbell.


No comments: