
We have two pygmy goats. Why? They came with the house of course....but that is another story altogether. Unfortunately if we ever move I don't think we'll be able to sell them with the house and pass them along to the next homeowner as they have become entirely too attached to our dogs. In fact I think they view themselves as dogs. They sleep with the dogs, beg at the back door with the dogs (I can now tell the difference between paws and hooves tapping on glass), eat dog food (they try to anyways), and are even groomed by the dogs. Take the dogs on a walk and the goats stand at the gate hollering as loudly as their little caprine lungs will allow. I'm not sure if they are saying "Bring Them Baaaaack!" or "You forgot to take ME!" I can just imagine the circus act that would be....walking both dogs and both goats.
There are generally two reactions when people find out we have goats. The first is "Hey you have goats! How neat!" This response is generally associated with folks who have little experience in raising animals other than a dog, cat, or bird. They think its unusual and cool, not realizing just how much trouble the little devils can cause. The other response comes from people who were raised or work with livestock. That response is "Why?" I think this is since pygmy goats have no obvious function. They are not generally used as a food source (not that I haven't threatened to make them into goat sausage a time or two), they aren't a normal companion animal, they don't produce a useful byproducts (unless you count the 'fertilizer' that they like to deposit on the patio) , they aren't big enough to pack anything. To be honest their only real usefulness I can find is in entertainment value. They really are hysterical.
OllieCase in point Ollie, the larger of the two, decided that he needed to prune my lilac bush the other day. Problem is the lilac is on the other side of the fence. If he were the little goat, Bronco, he could, and would, just roll himself under the fence. However, he is to fat to fit so he settled for jamming his nose through the chain link. Even with this method his nose is too large to fit through a single hole so he had to put it through two holes with the separating wires slid in his mouth like a bit. Only problem was that once he snagged a leaf his 'bit' prevented him from eating his tasty treat. He'd pull back from the fence only to loose his leaf and had to start all over again.
Ollie had little success with the lilac bush though he and Bronco have managed to 'prune' my Maple Tree to death, literally. They have also taken it upon themselves to increase our home ventilation by eating the screen out of one of the window. Goat jaws on screen....that is a sound worse than fingernails on chalkboard. See why I threaten them with goat sausage?
BroncoI'm not quite sure what their redeeming qualities are. Low maintenance costs perhaps? Still, they are highly entertaining and I don't think I would change that. Besides until we find ourselves with more acreage a pygmy goat is about all the livestock our place can handle. Although a miniature donkey could be fun..........
3 comments:
At the Grant County fair today with Dayna's two and Renae -- Thea LOVED the goats. All of them, any size. She just had to walk up to each pen and point and talk to them with big smiles!
Here in W Washington, people are paying to rent goats as a green means of weed (blackberry and ivy) control.
That is also really big in California and in certian places on the East Coast. Mine work great on weeds except they do not discriminate between weeds and plants I want to stick around. I guess desired plants are more tasty than weeds...they always go for those first.
Post a Comment