Sunday, August 21, 2016

Snatched From the Jaws of Death

IMG_5789If something is going to “go down” at this place I a can, with 85% certainty, guarantee its going to go down when Kevin is away. Friday morning was no exception. Kevin had just left for a weekend BAER assignment and I was puttering around the trying to get the dishwasher loaded and laundry started when someone knocked on the door. I knew it had to be the neighbor as he’s the only one who’d knock at 7:30am. Sending a quick prayer heavenward that I at least had a bra and running pants on under my nightshirt I went to answer the door.

Sure enough, it was Randy. I got out a “morning” before he said, “ Your dog is chasin’ your Rooster around the backyard…” To which I may or may not have replied, “Oh s&!t, thanks” before slamming the door in his face (as I dashed out of the house I did think that slamming the door like that with him standing there was a little, okay a lot, rude but I'd have to deal with that later) See when Randy says “dog” I know that means…Tilly.

To most individuals Tilly looks like your typical sweet loving Labrador.

IMG_2096

However, to rockchucks, other assorted small rodent-type critters, and chickens Tilly looks more like this::

evil tilly

She’s not called “Two-snap Tilly” for no reason. Captain Nimrod had hopped the fence and met up with a fuzzy black Angel of Death. There was no time to spare!

When I burst into the back yard Tilly was standing in the grass looming over a pile of black and white feathers. She literally had a paw on the Captain and was licking his neck.  I was sure I was too late, his head was gone, and I’d have to explain the facts of life and poor chicken judgement to the kids all over again. Still, in my anger I yelled, “Tilly!!” at the dog. She jerked her head up startled and the pile of feathers leapt to its feet and went madly dashing back to the chicken pen in a manner something like this:

Once I got the gate open the panicked Captain dashed into the hen house. I picked him up and checked him over. Physically he was fine no bit marks or brusing anywhere. Worried the shock might get to him I watched him pretty close for the rest of the day. Aside from cowering behind the chicken coop anytime the dogs came near he seemed fine. He’s been taken down a peg or two for the time being (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing as he was getting a bit cocky…pun intended) but is otherwise fine for literally being seconds from death.

Needless to say I finally got around to reclipping wings and hung some bird netting to prevent further breakouts.

No comments: