Friday, July 1, 2016

Take Me Out to The Ballgame

Tuesday wrapped up our first season of Baseball. Jack played...the rest of us became enthusiastic spectator. I was a little nervous signing him up this year as the division for his age group is pitch machine and he never even played tee ball, but he said he wanted to play so I figured we'd give it a try. Turns out he LOVES it. First practice the pitching machine had him fascinated. The only thing better than hitting was watch the ball go "thwump" through the machine. I also had nothing to fear as the majority of his team had no prior ball experience of any kind.


My other concern was that athletics don't come easy to him. He makes up for it in sheer enthusiasm and attitude, but I was so worried he wouldn't get a chance to run the bases in a game. Once again he set me straight. Turns out that though he may not be a heavy hitter he is consistent. He hit the ball almost every single time his was at bat throughout the season save for the very first game. The first time he hit and made it to first base I'm not sure who was more excite. He was out there jumping up and down on first with his fists in the air saying, "I made it to first coach!" or me who was trying reall hard not to cry in the stands (it's all allergies I swear).


 Now fielding, on the other hand, is still a work in progress. He's a right-handed hitter but fields/throws lefty which makes life interesting. Though it really doesn't matter if you give him a right or left handed glove as odds are its gonna end up on the wrong hand anyway *shakes head.* His favorite position to play was catcher. He doesn't mind getting hit by the ball either which is good for a catcher.

We've got a whole year to practice before next season I guess. He and Kevin are both loving that. We purchased Kevin a set of bases for Father's Day (Jack's idea) and Kevin barely has a chance to walk through the door in the evening before Jack says, "Wanna hit the ball with me Dad!?"

No comments: