On school mornings, when we drop Jack off at school, there is usually a little extra time before the bell rings and Emilie likes to play on the playground, namely she likes me to push her on the swings. During the past year and a half or so I've become a professional swing pusher (I really should put that on my resume....I've done as many as eight kids at once, just working up and down the line of swings) I push Emilie and whoever else wants a push until the bell rings and then we mosey along to preschool. It has its advantages in that we get to know some of the kids pretty well. It's always good to know your kids' friends/peers right? I kid you not, Emilie isn't even an elementary school yet and already has several acquaintances.
Well this morning, one of them is sitting next to her on the swings today and we're chatting when she says, "Do you like cookies?" Not really paying attention to where this conversation is going. I said, "Yes I do!" To which she replies, "What is your favorite Girl Scout cookie?"
"Oh crap....," I thought, "I've been caught."
I should have told her right then and there that I already have a dealer.... Her name is Sophie, she's eight, and her Mom works with my husband. It's a pretty sweet deal. He makes the order and all I have to do is wait to be presented with Thin Mints. Seriously, Kevin brought home five boxes, or somewhere in that ballpark, last week (not ALL Thin Mints...but some on none of the GS choices is truly awful and I'm not picky when it comes to sweets) I put them out in the freezer and I'm trying really hard to forget they are there. I really have no resistance to girl scout cookies.
I have almost as hard a time saying no to Girl Scouts, seeing as it wasn't too long ago I was one (25 years is too long right...it's only a quarter century, Shoot now I just made myself feel old). Yep, the memories of Laci Dyer and I wandering around the Arnada neighborhood peddling cookies out of the back of a Radio Flyer wagon are still pretty vivid. Course cookies were $2.75 a box back then and they let you sell them door to door instead of accosting innocent chocolate-weak ladies in front of the local grocery store...but I digress.
Needles to say our system works. We by the boxes from our established cookie dealer and it's easier to say "No." to the store-front ones. Honestly, the easiest way is to not make direct eye-contact and try to place another unsuspecting shopper between you and the stand. But if they do speak to me anyway, at least I can say, "Sorry, I already bought some...." and scoot.
Back to the playground. Here I am cornered by a kindergartner who I'm pushing on the swing. I sigh to myself.... If she's going to distribute on the playground she better at least know her stuff.
"How much do they cost I asked."
"$4 a box."
"Okay, what kinds are there?"
"Thin Mints (of course she's sensed my weak point..she can probably smell it...), Lemon, Samoas,....etc (she knew them all, even the new Raisin filled one in the pink box)"
Since she seemed to know her stuff and had the guts to deal to me right there on the playground swing I caved. "Okay, if you bring me a box of Thin Mints tomorrow I'll bring you $4. Deal?"
"Deal." she says.
Now there is only the ''kindergartner' factor that she'll forget, but if she's as good a cookie peddler as she seems to be, tomorrow morning I'll be getting myself a box of Thin Mints on the playground before school. Not sure what I'm going to do with them...but hey it never hurts to have more than one cookie dealer on the line right?
No comments:
Post a Comment