Thanksgiving this year was many years in the making. My older sister has lived on the east coast for close to a decade and always said that when they moved back to the west coast she wanted to host Thanksgiving dinner….a big family Thanksgiving dinner with both sides of her family. I wonder if, at the time, she realized this would include 10 kids under ten and three tweens/teenagers? Add that to 9 Adults and you’ve got a grand total of 22 people sitting around your table trying to figure out which way to pass the mashed potatoes (clockwise or counterclockwise?)
But let’s rewind….
Before we even got to the table it was quite the week. As I mention in my previous post about Jack’s Birthday, we left earlier than planned to get ahead of the weather that was supposed to hit. Since we were already halfway there on the day we had originally planned to leave we were able to take our time and see a couple of things on the “you know some day we should stop in there” list that has accumulated after years of driving back and forth along I-84/14. Of course this was after dealing with the hour time change by getting up at 6am to swim in the hotel pool (yep, we’re living the kid life)
The first stop included the SAGE Center in Boardman. The kids and I went here this summer but Kevin hadn’t been and this is definitely something everyone should visit. The scavenger hunt for the kids comes with cool prizes and most of the displays are hands-on. Jack even showed me how to plow a field. Yes that tractor we are in has a big computer monitor as a windshield and the steering wheel really guides you up and down the field and shows how accurate your passes are.
Our next stop was at the Bonneville Dam and Hatchery. While I’ve been to the Visitor’s Center on the Washington side many many times, this was the first time in decades that I’ve been to the Oregon Side. So long that it might as well have been my first visit. The Dam and turbines were cool. Emilie and I played (and won) a computer game on the Salmon life cycle (Hey I grew up in the PNW and now I live in the Southern Idaho - - Both ends of the cycle folks, I’ve picked up a thing or two
). However, the coolest part was over at the Bonneville Hatchery. While they have a variety of salmon and trout they also have a pond full of ginormous White Sturgeon. There were several 6ft+ critters, but the biggest one of all was pushing 12’. He must have know we fish enthusiast were there to. He swam right out of the pond depths and past the viewing window, of which he stretched from one end to the other. Kevin was having fantasies and literally kissed the window at one point. It was fantastic.
After the hatchery it was a stop at Spooky’s in the Dalles (HUGE portions and great food) for lunch then on to the fun in Clark Co.
So back to Thanksgiving. My side of the family included: Our family of 4, My sister and brother-in-law and their 3 boys. My little sister and her 3 boys, and my parents. Then their was my brother-in-laws family consisting of his folks and 5 nieces and nephews. It was a whole delightful horde of controlled chaos.
Ben, at 8 months was the youngest and therefore attracted a legion of adoring fans in the oldest kids and grandparents.
Emilie took it upon herself to shower her cousins’ two guinea pigs and cat with love and adoration…much to their chagrin. They are probably thrilled that the little girl has gone back home.
The weather was so nice that the majority of the kids spent the morning/afternoon outside playing so I don’t have too many photos. However they did come in to decorate some placemats and eat their bodyweights in pickles and olives.
My Brother in-law spoiled us by making two turkeys, one smoked, one deep fried. They were equally delicious and he deserves a hug round of applause. In fact there were so many helping hands in the kitchen. It wouldn’t have been possible to pull it all off without everyone (and wine….lots of wine
).
Thanksgiving dinner was definitely one for the memory books and I’m sure I will look back upon this year fondly in years to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment