We’ve survived another All Hallows Eve. With the kids at two different schools, Kevin still working long days at work (I’m ready for the hills to ‘snow out’ please), my willingness to volunteer, and swim lessons we spent the last week on the go. It wasn’t overly crazy you just had to stay focused and on top of your timetable.
Monday we carved pumpkins. Each year this gets better and better as the kids become more independent. Jack did his whole pumpkin by himself for the most part. Watching him use a knife, even one of those ‘safety’ pumpkin carving ones, to cut out the pumpkin’s face was a bit nerve wracking. It’s one of those times where I pretty much have to fight the urge to snatch the knife away and just sit on my hands and offer only verbal instruction until he asks for help.
As for Emilie, yes she carved in her swimsuit. I hide it after I wash it. Otherwise she wants to wear it all the time. She had mixed reviews on pumpkin carving. Mostly it was the pumpkin guts
that were an issue. She had no problem scooping them out, but they made her hands slimy and she wanted a washing between each scoop.
Jack’s Kindergarten class held it’s class party on Thursday which worked out nicely since I’d volunteered to at Emilie’s class party on Friday forgetting I’d already volunteered to help with Jack’s (yes, I need to join a “volunteers anonymous” program). All the kids wore their costumes and did a parade for the upper grades. Then they went back to their classes and had their parties. The Mom in charge of Jack’s class did a fantastic job. There were 4 stations the kids rotated between. Mini-pumpkin decorating, a spooky craft, cupcake frosting/eating, and a game.
The game was my station. I did a pumpkin ball-toss game with a “trick or treat” board. The kids seemed to love it. Especially the part where they got to punch out a ‘window’ for their trick or treat (some had candy, some had little rubber mice/bats/spiders). Many were disappointed to learn it was a ‘one per customer’ game. I found the idea on Pinterest so I really can take no credit besides assembly, still I had three different teachers stop me so they could look it over in order to make their own at some point in the future.
Friday, Halloween proper, consisted of Emilie’s class party, a lunch potluck at the Forest Service office, and Trick-or-Treating. Jack had no-school due to it being the end of the quarter and a half-day at school. Half days result in Kindergarten classes being cancelled since they can’t get both AM and PM classes completed in the allotted time. That meant Jack went to Emilie’s class party with me. I thought I took more pictures there, but I guess I didn’t. How easily one forgets the activity level and stubbornness of a a pack of 3 year olds. Sheesh! They did face painting, a craft, spooky stories, and a bean bag toss. Like Jack’s class they rotated through stations. Unlike Jack’s class they wouldn’t stay at their designated station and I think we spent more time trying to make sure everyone stayed where they were supposed to than actually doing activities. Oh well, what can you do?
After that party we drove over to Kevin’s office to say ‘Hi’ and see what costumes the FS staff had come up with. Got to hand it to that group they are all pretty good about dressing up. The food isn’t bad either. Baked Potato bar and chili cook-off. Sign me up. Kevin entered a smoked beef chili and won second place this year. He did not dress-up though…he still owes me for that. I had my costume on.
Two parties in one morning can take it out on a body, especially the 5 and under set so we took it easy for the afternoon. Come sundown we all donned out Despicable me gear and headed out to trick-or-treat. With the kids deciding to be a yellow and a purple minion, Kevin and I went as Gru and Lucy Wilde respectively. Yes, Kevin did dress up for trick-or-treat
As usual went went to our friends’ place over in Kimberly and trick-or-treated their neighborhood. This was the first year we trick-or-treated without a stroller and it went pretty well. Emilie walked about the first block or so then had to be carried between houses. She was soooo excited she was falling all over herself and every step and curb along the way. Jack has this down pat now. He knows you only ring at houses with their porch lights on. You say trick-or-treat, get your candy, say thank you and hustle to the next house. Once we can get him to stop staring into his candy bag and instead watch where he is going, we’ll be set. Emilie pooped out 3/4 of the way through so she and Kevin went back to our friends’ house for hot cocoa and Jack and I kept going. He just about filled his bag by the time we finished all the houses in the neighborhood. He was slowing down, but was keeping up a steady trudge.
It was a fun and sugar-filled time all around. Thankfully a Friday holiday meant we got to spend the weekend working off the sugar induced hangover and easing into the coming Holiday season. Oh yes it is coming, you can’t deny. Saturday morning Emilie drug this out of the drawer….. even she knows
No comments:
Post a Comment