Monday, July 21, 2014

Twilight Tour

IMG_5713

This past week the University of Idaho Extension had their annual Twilight Tour out at their Kimberly Research Facility. We’d never been before, but after stumbling across the announcement online, it sounded like fun and was free so we headed on down.

IMG_5688It is a fantastic event. Their was a guided wagon ride that took you around the facility and told you about all the experiments they’re doing, a free BBQ dinner that spared no expense, cotton candy, 4H craft projects to do, a water use scavenger hunt, door prizes, etc. Even Joe Vandal (UofI mascot) was there to take photos with, though Emilie wouldn’t go near him stating that he was a “mean guy.” I think it was the horned Viking helmet…..

IMG_5705Both kids were tickled pink with the Cow Pie Olympics. Best part was they use read cow patties. They thought throwing poop was the best thing ever. Jack was ecstatic about the Insect Petting Zoo. He got to tickle a cockroach and even race meal worms. Emilie enjoyed the 4H booth where she got to make a pretty bracelet though that may have been second to the booth where they gave away free bags of cotton candy.

IMG_5692

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_5685IMG_5687Jack and I completed a scavenger hunt on water use for various crops. He found the signs and I wrote it all down. He got a water bottle when we turned that in….I got nothing. Still, when we went over to the potato growers booth I got them to wear fake mustaches so I could take pictures. I guess that’s fair. Jack looked like Mario right out of the video games (Halloween costume idea perhaps?) with his thick black lip warmer. As someone on FB put it Emilie’s purple one looked more like she sneezed a caterpillar. She’s known as the Snot-rocket Queen ‘round these parts so that comment was actually pretty close to reality. I mean some of the stuff she sneezes out her nose…..

Anyway, it was a lot of fun. It will definitely be on our to-do list for next year.

No comments: