Friday, June 27, 2014

Day Camp with Camp Perkin’s (aka Vacation Bible School)

Four weeks into summer vacation and there still has been no hint of boredom around here. In fact it feels like we’ve been busier than ever.

This week was our church’s Vacation Bible School. They call it Day Camp since it’s put on by camp counselors from Camp Perkins up near Stanley. Still I can’t help but think of it as VBS. It brought back a lot of good memories from my VBS days way back when.

I volunteered to help this year since I finally had a child old enough to attend. Well, somehow, one thing led to another and I found myself as our congregation coordinator. I felt like I was ‘flying bling’ at times, but the camp staff and our volunteers were so great that everything worked out really well.

Jack had a TON of fun. He started out a little quiet but by the end of the week he had blossomed into his usual chatty self. He was answering questions, requesting songs, and educating everyone about tractors (of course). It even got to the point they had to ask him to let other kids have a chance to respond. He didn’t seem to care for the group games too much unless it was “duck, duck, goose.” Not sure if all the tall kids were just to intimidating or he wasn’t quite sure of the instructions or what. There is always next year though.

Emilie was allowed to participate on a limited basis even though at 3 she’s technically to young. Since I was there to have her be my ‘helper’ if needed though she was allowed to do what she could handle. She was able to handle most of it though it just really wore her out. Today she fell asleep in my arms during closing. It’s a little too much for her just yet, but she’s a trooper. Two more years and she’ll be more than ready.

In between all my other responsibilities at camp, I did manage to wander about and take pictures of the kids, counselors, and volunteers for a video to show at a potluck we did for the kids and their parents Thursday night. The goal was to show what they were doing at camp every day.This year’s theme was ‘True Peace’ so, of course,  I couldn’t help but throw in a little ‘Peace Train’ by Cat Stevens… I mean how could I not.

No comments: