Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sheep Hunt 2013

(Author’s Note: The term ‘Stay at Home Mom’ is really not accurate. For someone whose occupational description includes the phrase “stay at home” I am rarely there. That, and when I finally am here there is usually a backlog of items on the ‘to-do’ list that rank above writing blog posts. So, almost two weeks late, here is the rundown on Kevin’s sheep hunt)

CaptureFinal

As you can see Kevin, Brian, & Jason literally hiked all over tarnation on their trip. Sadly, Brian did not get the ram he was looking for. Mostly they just got a lot of rain. So much so that they ended up coming home two days early. I guess getting rained on six times in one night is enough even for the hardiest of mountain men.

Despite it all, I think they had a good time. The did see eight bighorns…including one yearling ram. Those they saw the first day out after climbing 4,000 feet in three miles. Said sheep spent night kicking rocks down the hill at our intrepid heroes as they tried to get some sleep (note: this was the only night they did not get rained on). They also saw six bears, three mountain goats, two bull elk, two deer, two rattlesnakes, one salmon, and one very unfortunate grouse (I’m told he was tasty).

They also saw a plane crash site, which as all good explorers must do they had to detour to photograph, and investigate.

I’m told the most exciting part is a close toss up between scaring a 300lbs boar black bear out of the huckleberry bushes 20 yards away and almost getting hit by lighting. (Please note sitting on a knife ridge during a thunder storm isn’t the smartest idea even if there are higher points nearby. Yellow pushpin on map denotes location of this incident.) No fooling the lighting struck 237 yards from where they were sitting (they’re engineers, they measured) and ignited an old snag.

They also took a lot of awesome pictures and I just couldn’t choose which ones to post….so I give you a music montage of them all. Enjoy!

Oh, and all is not lost. Brain is going back in later this month for another week to try again. Here’s to hoping the second time’s a charm.

No comments: