Kissed my husband goodbye again today. This time he’ s gone for nine days. Nope, not a BAER assignment. This time he’s accompanying his friend Brian on a Big Horn Sheep hunt. There are 3 of them going in altogether Brain, Kevin, and a guy named Smitty.
Now this isn’t just any little old hunting trip. It’s a Big Horn Sheep hunt, and an opportunity that doesn’t come around very often. They are going to be in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness precisely located in the middle of nowhere. For those of you familiar with the area they are flying in Soldier Bar on Big Creek just up stream from it’s confluence with the Middle Fork Salmon River. I kid you not they are at least 30 miles from the nearest trailhead. They will be flying in and out in a little single engine fixed wing plane. While I don’t worry too much about these 3 being out in the woods (they’re all pretty level headed and outdoor savvy) it’s this part here that makes me a little nervous.
I’d show you the take-off too…..but I think you get the picture.
Brian is the one with the sheep tag and will be doing the actual hunting. Smitty and Kevin are along for companionship, scouting, and general pack mule services. I will pat myself and Smitty’s wife on the pack for allowing our husband’s to go on this trip when they aren’t even hunting. Especially Smitty’s wife. She’s pregnant with their second and due at the end of September…someone should give her a medal!
Well, Kevin has been up to his eyeballs in work this week so I’ve been doing a lot of his trip prep. Mostly this meant gathering enough food to last him for 9 days. Plus it has to be backpacking friendly. This means it has to be non-perishable (no fridge’s in the woods), lightweight, and compact (you have to put this all in your pack and carry it). He’s got a lot of those Mountain House type “just-add-water” meals. Plus pita bread, bagels, dried fruit, trail mix, instant oatmeal, powdered milk, peanut butter, honey, etc. I actually had a lot of fun researching items for him to take.
I also got to gather some other things for his tri like new liner socks and blister band-aids (Kev rubs blisters on his ankles easily and I didn’t want him miserable all trip), sunscreen, bug juice, and most importantly a collapsible fishing pole. He may not have a hunting tag but he’s got a fishing license and trout is in season
.
I know not all of you are the praying sort, but if you are, send up a little one for these three. That they stay safe, healthy, and get that sheep they are looking for!
Oh and if you are interested I have Spot trackers for Brian and Kevin…if you want to ‘see’ where they are real time just let me know and I can get you a link.

No comments:
Post a Comment