Sunday, August 1, 2010

Don’t Blink…You’ll Miss Something

WOWeeee!

Life sure has a way of breezing by when you aren’t paying attention. I glanced at the calendar today and realized I needed to turn the page, July was gone and August was here. Didn’t we just celebrate Independence Day? We’ve been busy around here. Too busy to pay attention to the calendar I guess. What is really scary is that most of the weeks and weekends for the rest of the year are filled. Bat an eyelash and Christmas will be here.

I had a week long Range NEPA conference in Sun Valley two weeks ago. What a trip. It was wierd not having the mom/wife responsibilities for a week. I almost didn’t know what to do with all the spare time after work was over for the day…almost. I managed to read two books, did the newspaper crossword everyday, went out to dinner with Range folks from around the region, took some long walks, bubble baths, and generally just took it easy. It was nice break, but I was more than happy to come home to all the noise and chaos that is my real life. Plus, while Sun Valley is a great little resort town it is really not my style. A little too up scale and classy for a girl like me. I mean the actually pay people to stand around and open the door for you…that’s it just open the door. When I checked in the concierge asked to carry my bag to my room. I declined…I only had one bag and was pretty sure I could manage without breaking a nail. Still its a nice place if you like that sort of vacation.

IMG_3217 Stitch My room for the week…the bed was insanely comfy”

The same week Kevin was relocating a bridge that week and somebody still needed to be here for Jack so Grandma Duchow came down for a visit and really saved the day (well the week actually). Not only did she entertain Jack, and vice versa, but she weeded the weed patch out back and you can actually tell we have a garden now. The vegetables are coming on now too. We’ve got peas, zucchini, lots of tomatoes, peppers, and onions right now. The pumpkins seem to be holding their own and we should have green beans at some point.

This past Friday Kevin had a contract to administer at a campground on the South Fork of the Bosie river. Since it was a Friday and it was a long drive up and back we decided, “What the Hey!…let’s go camping!” This was the first time we have gone camping with Jack so we decided one night would be good for starters. We had a lot of fun and Jack loved it.

IMG_3267

The sky rumbled all evening, but it never did rain. We forgot garbage bags and graham crackers and there was a slight miscommunication over what tent we brought. I said “Not the Kelty, the ‘shake out’ tent Bethann & Julie used at Lost Lake.” That was clear right? Somehow we ended up with the green Pup Tent Kevin takes to fire camp. It was C-O-Z-Y, but we managed.

IMG_3238 IMG_3251 IMG_3270

The three pictures above are from Left to Right: Jack after he and I took a long walk around and around and around the campground, Wading in the S. Frk Boise, and Kevin and Jack cooking breakfast.

The only real issue was getting Jack to sleep in the tent. He was put down at the usual time and I laid in there next to him put sleep was not on his agenda. Mostly he hopped around on the sleeping bags and pounced on the pillows. Every now and then he would crawl over and peel open one of my eyelids and say “Hi!” …..just checking to see if you’re still awake Mom. What a silly little boy.

Well I’d better go. Kevin is trying to toast coconut and I can smell something burning in the Kitchen……take care until next time.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I now know why tents are rated by number of adults...Kids are supposed to be using them until they are adult size otherwise no one sleeps.