Saturday, April 10, 2010

Just Can't Kick this Bug

Thought I'd do a quick update on Kevin.

When I posted the blog about Easter I noted we were all on the mend and in the 'break-up' phase of the cold bug both Kevin and I got. That was the Monday after Easter I think. Well, despite things starting to drain Kevin was still coughing a lot and by Tuesday night his left ear was starting to hurt. (He was already on antibiotics for an infection in his right ear). So Wednesday afternoon he went back to the Doctors. He was given Codeine for his cough and a nasal steroid to keep his sinus open and draining. The left ear wasn't infected but the drum was retracted and the tubes weren't draining so he had a lot of pressure. So armed with new drugs Kevin came home.

That night as we were making dinner Kevin turns to me and asks, "Honey, does my smile look weird to you?" Sure enough it did...the left side was turned up in a smile but the right side was immobile. So I told him it did and he said the right side of his face was kind of numb. Of course my mind automatically goes to the worse case scenario like he's having a stroke or something, and I'll admit I had a minor freak-out.

We called the Doctor's office right away and explained what was going on and that he had just been seen a few hours before. The nurse didn't seem concerned enough to have us in that night or to send us to the ER, but she did set up an appointment for the next day with the on-call doctor since our normal doctor was off.

Thursday it was back to the Doctor's. Diagnosis: 7th Nerve Palsy (AKA Bell's Palsy). All the swelling and pressure from sinus and ear infections caused by this cold virus made the 7th Cranial Nerve to 'short out,' for lack of a better term. The 7th cranial nerve controls facial movement and connects in behind the ear.

Pretty much, Kevin has partial paralysis on the right side of his face. We did catch it early and the doctor is pretty hopeful that he will regain most if not all his facial movement back. He is now on Cyclovere (antiviral) and Prednisone (steroid). We should see some improvement within two weeks, though it can take a few months to fully recover. We are very hopeful that this will be the case. So far the only thing that really bothers him is that if he doesn't improve enough to be able to fully close his right eye he'll have to re-sight all his guns (he shoots lefty - right eye closed and left open - which he can't do right now). Yep, you can see where his priorities are.......*rolling eyes*

Short term, after a few days on the antivirals Kevin says he is feeling better. He definitely has more energy when he's not sleeping of the effects of the Codeine....that cough is still hanging around. Our kitchen counter looks like a small pharmacy with all the prescription drugs he's taking.

So that has been our exciting week....I truly hope yours was less eventful!

2 comments:

Teresa Catlin said...

Wow, good thing you caught it early! Did they tell you to use some protective eye ointment at night if he can't close his eye all the way? Prevents damage from dryness since we don't blink in our sleep. I'll keep good thoughts going your way!
Teresa

Cassie D said...

Thanks Teresa!

They did tell us to put moisturizing drops in it if the eye felt dry...and if nighttime dryness became a problem to wear an eye patch.

He can shut the eye, just not tightly. So far he's used the drops a couple of times, but no major dryness issues.