I hate the place I work.
It's not the people, the job, or the organization, it is the building itself. The building is old, probably built in the 1970's or something. I don't think there is a real wall in the place except for the outside walls. The rest are all temporary dividers or cubicle partitions. I'm told the half of the building that my office is in was originally built as a warehouse, then converted at some point to office space.
Overall the biggest issue with the building is the electrical. We actually had a small fire in the ceiling this summer....something with the wiring to the AC shorting out. That was big excitement. We got a REAL fire drill with firemen and everything, plus a day off work so they could vent the place. The cherry on top of that sundae was, as firemen lifted the ceiling panels to check for the source of the fire they dislodged several mouse carcasses from their resting places and got showered with dead mice.
So the building has a rodent problem too. Oh, yeah there is also that pesky mold issue back in Fire's portion of the building where the roof leaks.
Lately the big issues has been the heat. Obviously the building is NOT energy efficient and the heater strains just to get the heat up to livable levels (like 65). Most days I wear my coat while I work but that only covers my main core. By the end of the workday my nose, toes, and hands are frozen. I'd wear mittens but they make it hard to type. As the temperature drops outside and the heater struggles to sorta heat the inside I'm debating wearing my long johns. That, or I will invest in a portable heater like many others in the office use.
The only concern I have with getting a heater is that with the questionable electric (the light in the ladies restroom burns out every couple of weeks, and its not because of the bulbs), the already struggling heater, AND all the little space heaters we may just overload the whole system and the building will disintegrate before our eyes. One day we will arrive at work to find nothing but a pile of ash....I don't think we'd mourn its loss to much.
The FS leases the building, so I suppose there is always the dream of getting funding to build our own FS owned place, the key word being 'dream.' Until then we shall live like Eskimos and remember that thermal underwear is required...until summer when we will melt in the heat, but that's another story.
No comments:
Post a Comment